Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sleeping in the dirt

Posted by catseye_1978 none (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 11, 14 at 12:41

I couldn't resist. He was being so good, and it's too darn cute! He's not always this well behaved with my violets.... lol

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sleeping in the dirt

Hi is good, sharing sunny spot with violets! :)
Could you please tell me what exposure that window has? I'm horrified to let any direct sunlight on them, and looks like I'm wrong!

o

Hi Aggie,

I'm in New Hampshire, and I think direct sunlight is less of an issue in the winter. I have most of my violets directly in windowsills, which is what I've seen lots of people in my area do. Though as the days get longer, I 'm going to move them a little further away. A couple of strong plants bloomed all winter with this light!

I think you want to avoid the hot sun that come in the late afternoon. Though, I have plants that get this type of sun as well. They have problems, but I don't suspect sunlight issue. It's so cloudy here all winter, the sunshine days are more rare. I would NOT let them have the direct, late day sunlight in the summertime.

These pictured are in an eastern window, the picture was taken in the morning, and morning light is the best light for so many houseplants.

I have been wondering if the plants in the more southern window are getting too much light. I think I'll switch to a filmy curtain for the summertime. I had been think I might want new curtains anyways. ;)

I am a newbie - less than year with this hobby, and I mess up all the time. So, please correct me if I'm wrong!! Anyone!!

Jessica

o

Hi,so from my experience and trust me when I say I have mess up a LOT,I can say that the late evening sun is ok.its the mid day sun you should avoid say from about 10 in the morning to about 4 in the evenings,my violets are on a north exposure window and that's where I got one to finally bloom,but I live in Jamaica so maybe it would be different there but for sure its the mid day sun that gives scorched leaves and I am talking from first hand experience.Velleta

o

Dear Jessica, Do not be fooled by kitty's innocent look, it is just an act to get his photo taken. I know what goes on in that mind behind that furry face, and so does Irina. It is called Jealousy!
Joanne

o

Jessica,

Okay, I know this is my pet peeve and I've been called on it but...it's soil, not dirt. ;)

Linda

o

Hahaa, thanks, Linda! :-/

Yes, kitty looks like a little angel, doesn't he??? He has gotten the water bottle more than once about my violets, and every so often he tries to

MUUURRRRDDERRRRR

one of them. Then he goes back for another attempt on the same one. I've lost a couple that way. He;s much better now, but he's tempted, that's for sure!

(the extra drama is due to it being so dramatic! Roots and plant splayed all over the floor.... like he's digging for a bone. It's totally tragic when he does it!)

o

Hi Jessica,
Irina has posted some hilarious antics of her "angels with fur" also! In one of your photos, the leaves look like your kitty took a few bites.
I had a kitty that looked a lot
like your rascal.
She could not stand that they were getting attrntion. I thought she had plenty to entertain herself. I just never heard of a cat being jealous of an African Violet, until I read Irina's tales of woe!

She had plenty of kitty grass, etc. But it was the violets she was after because they were my "pets."

Joanne

This post was edited by fortyseven on Thu, Mar 20, 14 at 23:02

o

The AV on the upper right looks like it is planted in a food or water bowl ... is that the "sacrificial lamb" to appease the Great Destroyer?

o

Hahahaha! It might as well be a sacrifice to the Great Destroyer! He dug that one up a couple of weeks ago!

This morning, while I was getting ready for work, he tried to

MUUUUUUUUURRRDDDERRRRR

my Rob's Cotton Ball. Oh. My. God. It was tragic. I fixed it, it's domed, only one broken leaf, could have been so much worse. But, this is a tiny plant, and the stupid cat likes to dig the plants out and SHRED the roots. He didn't get to do that to this one, but I know that's his ultimate goal....

It is total jealousy. He's the baby, has other cats and a dog to play with, but he is completely jealous and out to get my violets. He had taken a few months off from this habit, apparently he's on a spree.

Naughty kitty.

o

Kitty Cabin Fever, I think they have the minds of two year old children.
The very thing you don't want them to do is what appeals to them most.
Maybe he thinks he is helping ... !!? What's his name?
Joanne

o

lol - I love my animals, but I want to kill them sometimes! His name is Kiki. My 8 year old son named him. He's a sweet little love, but he's definitely the naughtiest of the three.

He knows EXACTLY what he's doing. lol

o

Hi Jessica

There is a natural cat repellent you can sprinkle on the top soil of the plants, it is called chewing tobacco, Skoal is the brand name.

Manchestah sounds like the happening place to be!

Joanne

This post was edited by fortyseven on Thu, Mar 20, 14 at 23:14

o

Something else that is a possibility is Ssscat (not sure how many s's) compressed air. This has a sensor and doesn't hurt the cat but scares them. Mostly it goes off with my husband or me but I'm using a couple of cans of it.

Happy Harold has been knocked down 4x and there are bites out of O. Manitoba and Red Rocket.

Diana

o

Joanne,

Be careful with the tobacco. It is the basis of many pesticides the nicotine being poisonous to insects. I have read of it being harmful to animals although I do not know the quantities needed.

Linda

o

Jessica, two plants that cats love are dracaena and spider plants. Those were the two that I used the tobacco on and the cats stayed away. So maybe if you get Kiki a dracenca and a spider plant, he will be very happy. Especially the spider should be easy to find. Just don't tell the florist where you buy it what is the purpose! With the dracaena, they tend to use it as a litter box, so maybe you don't want to get that one, after all.

Linda, I did not know that about that about the tobacco.

Joanne

This post was edited by fortyseven on Fri, Mar 21, 14 at 22:07

o

That might be something to look into but I've never heard of it being used for thrips before. Maybe I can do a little detective work.

Linda

o

Cat

This post was edited by fortyseven on Thu, Mar 20, 14 at 22:58

o

How adorable! I can see why you couldn't resist!

o

Nice! I miss my cats. But I always had outdoor cats, and just don't think it would be right to keep one in an apartment (with a not so friendly GSD).
A friends cat would eat anything with blooms or foliage. She never got her to stop that.
Maybe you could try cat grass as an alternative offering? Or put cayenne pepper on the soil (it sort of helped with my squirrel problem on the balcony).
Other than that, it's all about attitude, what the cat wants, the cat gets, that's why they call you a well trained human :-)

Karin

o

A gentle wack with a fly swatter or a spray of a water mister works for me except with my tomato seedlings. Zachariah loves to nibble on them. I found out they were poisonous to cats, so now I keep them out of his reach.

o

Zackey, Zachariah is just sitting on the fence, trying to decide which direction has the most tasty goodies. Or, more likely, where he can cause the most mischief, or, playfulness. His perky ears are trying to detect a hint of where he won't get caught. Joanne ;(

o

Actually that is Miss Callie, my outdoor kitty. I posted the wrong photo.

o

Hi,
I was going to ask you, as I recognized she was a calico or a Tortoise, and she has the delicate look of a female. Males are not calico. But I thought I better mind my own business!

Joanne

This post was edited by fortyseven on Fri, Mar 21, 14 at 22:09

o

More genetics!!! Sorry, but it's a favorite topic...

Linda

o

Yes! Joanne

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here