Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amccour

Sudden plant collapse?

amccour
14 years ago

Unfortunately, I can't get pictures because I only have my cell phone camera and it doesn't really do detail well.

Basically, though, I have some noid african violet which is actually three offsets growing in the same pot. Prior to spring break--a week ago--it looked fine. I gave it some water prior to going home on vacation. I have to admit, this time of year I keep the plant pretty dry, usually letting it get very dry between waterings because I rotted it out and regrew it from a leaf cutting once, and I'd rather not have that happen again. From what I've seen, it won't wilt as long as I water it about once every two or three weeks, so that's usually what I go by.

I was looking over some of my other plants last night when I noticed that one of the three offsets had gone completely floppy, save for three or so newly emerging leaves at the center.

It's sitting fairly close to a heater (not like RIGHT on top of it, though), and has been all year with no ill effect because the heat's usually kept pretty low, although it's possible the dorm staff cranked it over spring break for some stupid, stupid reason. Assuming that as a possibility, I gave it some water (soil was completely dry, so again, not really expecting rot. Also, it IS spring, so its water requirements might've gone up too, recently. The soil was REALLY dry though, which is odd because it does dry down pretty much entirely over the space of a week but not that much).

In any case, the floppy leaves are staying floppy and not perking up. Other two plantlets look fine. Damaged plantlet doesn't seem dead because it still has some new leaves at the center. Should I just trim off the dead leaves and let it regrows at its own accord?

Comments (6)

• robitaillenancy1
    14 years ago

Your plant may have root rot. Often this is caused by watering too often but also by flood followed by desert condition.

Take the plant out of the pot. If roots are white, they are in good condition. If roots are brown, you need to change the soil. Cut off at least one-third of the root ball, more if roots are completely brown. Strip off the floppy leaves and take off the two babies growing alongside. This will help flowering since the strength of the plant will go to making more roots which will go to making more flowers.

You can put the two extra plants into their own pots of damp soil and put a piece of plastic over them for humidity which will help them make roots quicker.

African violets should have fresh soil at least every year.

Nancy

• fred_hill
    14 years ago

Hi,
    Nancy is correct. If you would like to see a page on plant rejuvination email me and I will send it to you.
    Fred in NJ

• amccour
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wouldn't it be easier just to take leaf cuttings and re-root those?

Also, I'm just curious, but is watering after an extended dry period leading to rot something particular to African Violets?

• robitaillenancy1
    14 years ago

Many houseplants would get root rot after flooding and desert conditions.

Nancy

• amccour
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I unpotted the plant today and washed off the roots. There wasn't much of a root system left, so I removed what WAS there because it didn't look good. I also cut off tissue on the stem till I didn't see any black/brown stuff in the vascular bundle. Then I dipped the cut into rooting hormone that had a fungicidal compound in it. currently I have them sitting out so they can callous (is this necessary with African Violets?) I'm not sure if I can re-root the entire plants like this, but getting leaf cuttings shouldn't be an issue.

What should I try rooting it in? I have vermiculite, perlite, and orchid potting mix (which is mostly bark). I usually use some mixture of those when making up potting mixes (I can't remember the actual percentages off hand), so I could also try getting it to root in whatever the final potting media for it would be, although that would retain more moisture than just the vermiculite or perlite and I'm not really sure whether I'm looking for more moisture or less.

I also noticed that the bottom half of the potting medium was all peat for some reason. I'm not really sure why I did that when I potted it up, but whatever. Top half was a substantially lighter, faster draining mix, but I was watering from below, so...

• larry_b
    14 years ago

Hi,

The reason for re-rooting your violet rather than starting new leaves is because you already have an established crown. Even if you had completely lost every root on your plant you can still plant it and get an entire root system established in about a month. If you have some roots already, so much the better. Just make sure that you have all of the rot cut from the stem or the plant will continue to rot. The rot is kind of like cancer. It has to all be removed or it will keep spreading up the stem.

I would go ahead and plant it in whatever medium it will wind up in. I'll qualify that though. I'm assuming that you're going to put it in a medium that is well drained. Something like a 1:1:1 sphagnum, perlite and vermiculite mixture. Put the newly potted plant into a plastic bag and tie it off so that you have a little greenhouse. In about a month you should be able to take the plant out of the plastic bag.

I hope this helps,

Larry

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022