Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
size of leaves

Posted by Mary246 none (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 10, 14 at 13:18

Hi
In general, does the size of a mature leaf kind of indicate the size the plant will be? I've seen a violet that I could grow to love but the mature leaves are very large and I'd rather not devote that much space to one large plant. She isn't that special.
Thanks
Mary

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: size of leaves

Mary - you got it right - x-large leaves belong to the the XL violet. And they usually come with XLARGE flowers.

I think to pay the tribute to the AV growers of yesteryear - when Mrs.Robert Jones with 28" violet was competing against Mrs. John Roberts with 29" one - we all need to try to grow 1 vintage violet the same way - to appreciate the beauty of the large well grown specimen plant with hundreds of flowers. - and do it probably once.

I think your not that special plant will truly shine.

Go for it!

I.

o

Mary,

Have you ever seen this picture of 'Tiger'? Very large leaves!!!

Linda

o

Perreault hybrids are noted for being very large. I never tried one. They are Canadian.

Tiger is big but not necessarily that big :).

Diana

o

I am very impressed with Tiger. It is definitely room-sized. I wonder how you set up lights to grow it that large.
Mary

o

Mary,

I have two 'Tigers'. They are larger violets but this one was grown especially for show. I read an article about how it was grown and its dimensions but I don't remember the particulars. I'm sure it had its very own shelf!

Linda

o

If you can read library articles online, do a search on "Tigers in Iowa" or David Catherine Thompson "Tiger".

I thought I remembered this (can't remember anything else). Their family had a little competition to grow the largest one, David and Catherine, the brother and sister, and Nancy Price the mother. There was a photo of all three of them. I think there was a little about how they grew them, maybe just that they had to devote a whole shelf to it. It was very impressive.

I had the AVSA magazine but finally threw it out. It is Sep/Oct2006, Vol. 59 Issue 5, p37, of the AVSA magazine. Maybe that photo is one of them? It wasn't the one in the magazine though.

Again, though, your average Tiger isn't going to look like that :). It will start bumping into other plants.

Here is a link to some photos by Nancy Robitaille on Violet Voice of the Perrault plants. The size of the leaves are breathtaking.

http://violetvoice.yuku.com/topic/706/INTRODUCING-HYBRIDIZER-CLEMENT-PERREAULT

Diana

o

The photo is of Dave of Blue Mountain Violets. He is out of Virginia. He sells on E Bay and has excellent violets as you can see!

Linda

o

Diana
Thank you for the link. Those are beautiful violets!!
Breathtaking.
Mary

o

You're welcome! They are stunning (and big).

Diana

o

This particular Tiger is 36" if I remember correct - and Paul Sorano probably has plenty of growing space in his greenhouses with light and humidity just so.

The technology is not that complicated. You start with a good looking symmetrical starter - and repot it about every 2 months using the method of slip potting - without disturbing the roots. Keep it under good lights, with plenty of space around - probably on the mats - and as soon as the roots fill the pot - and start peaking from the bottom holes - get it to next size pot. Not at once - but - 2" into 3", 3 into 3,5 - into 4 into 5 into 6. Disbud constantly, remove the baby leaves on the bottom as soon as possible -and if you have a row of smaller in a middle - leaves - immediately as you see them. In a year you will have a monstrosity - and 8-9 weeks before the show for variegated - and 6-7 weeks for a green one - stop disbudding. You will get hundreds of blossoms on this monster plant. Tiger is a bit more complicated - the bloom is less predictable - get a large green plant with a good record - for the maximum bloom return.

Have Fun!

Irina

o

Irina,

Did I miss something? There isn't any connection between the Tigers and Paul Sorano, is there?

I think you do have to start with the right variety to get a monster. I have some vintage ones that have shrink to a very small size and it doesn't seem to be my care. They are classified as standards.

Honestly, I think that Tiger is kind of gappy looking. Big though. Maybe my memory is faulty but I think the Thompsons had better looking ones.

The Perraults are listed under P on Bloomlovers and I almost ordered one. Just what I need :).

Diana

o

I want one!
I grow mini av's , love them and when weather gets warmer will got named ones from Rob to join noid mini jungle. But I think one giant would be OK. I'm sucker for variegated leaves, so need Tiger! Anyone knows where I could get it? :)

Aggie

o

Diana -

Paul Sorano - is actually the guy on the photo. He did grew this plant.
Could happen that I am having a brain fart though.

I.

o

Travis has leaves and plants. Violet Gallery listed leaves.

Yes, I did a lot of looking a month or so ago...

Maybe check Fancy Bloomers too...they were out of so much when I looked.

Diana

o

I thought I had read that this was a photo of Dave from BM Violets. It's been a long time ago so I could be having a brain fart, as well! If I can find the article, I'll check it out. (Or maybe I can just e-mail him. Hmmm.)

You do have to start with a variety that is capable of this large growth . You can give a plant the best care and if it doesn't have the genes for monster-size, it won't get that big. (That's probably a good thing. Most of us have trouble finding enough room for our regular-sized standards and minis. Imagine if they all grew this big!)

I think it looks a bit 'gappy' too, but it is impressive!

Linda

This post was edited by whitelacey on Thu, Mar 13, 14 at 15:42

o

I found it!

The photo above accompanied an E Bay auction from last September by Blue Mountain Violets. Here is part of the text:

The classic "Tiger"! Few African Violets can achieve the enormous dimension that this varieties genetic makeup allows. The plant I am holding in the gallery photo is the largest African Violet I ever grew, this plant was 36" across. "Tiger" does not have to grow this large, with normal culture and maintaining this variety in 4" to 5" pots you will be able to 'tame' the beast :) Beautiful symmetrical highly variegated foliage is standard on this variety and then topped with a beautiful head of deepest purple blossoms. Always a spectacular plant for home or show, a favorite of growers for nearly 35 year now!

I've included a link for anyone who would like to see the actual auction.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tiger/Blue Mountain Violets

o

36" is darned impressive!

Diana

o

Thanks Diana.
Travis has it, although I'm not sure if I will get it from there. Don't like that he posts no images in his catalog, it is ok if you know what you want (like with tiger) but who can order one plant! I will try to fine other vendor, it 's pain to read every description and search for images... He has over 200 minis, it would be so nice to just look and order what I like!

o

I'm not sure why there aren't photos on Travis's site. Maybe he's redoing it or something. This was my first order although I've heard good things. It's too cold for it to have shipped so I can't report.

The photos weren't much of an issue for me because I'm familiar with a lot of the ones I want and I'd been looking around lot anyway. I also like to find multiple photos of them because I've been sucked in too many times by that one super looking show plant that didn't look that way at my house :) I can understand your dilemma though. I was going to order a plant but didn't really need 5 so got leaves.

They had one of the most polite response of the 4 places I ordered. You would think they could at least rouse themselves to automatically say thank you for spending a bunch of money on us.

Good luck! (Yes, 4 places Diana. Do not order any more!!!)

Diana

o

Recently Travis took down his photos. Perhaps he is redoing his website. They are very courteous. When I ordered just one plant and some leaves from a different company, the single plant got jostled in the box, even though it was packed well. J

o

Somehow I missed Irina's comment. As near as I can find "Dave" is David Harris. He and Paul Sorano do look something alike in photos.

That was a heck of an eBay price for a run-of-the mill plant of Tiger. I hope the buyer didn't think they were getting the big one for that money.

Again, you have to work at it to get plants anywhere near that size. Anyone ever try the Perrault plants?

Diana

o

Maybe they look similar because they have that happy AV grower, peaceful look! Jo

o

Dave of the picture above is named Dave Dick. I buy from him on E Bay and that is the name on the return address. He is out of Virginia. David Harris is of Dave's Violets out of Missouri.

Linda

o

Thanks, Linda. It's a little confusing there...

Diana

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here