Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sheylangel

brown and kinda curly leaves

sheylangel
12 years ago

I got my AV as a gift from my husband end of last year. It was everything fine. We moved to a new apartment and I noticed that the old leaves of my VA are getting brown and curling.. there are new leaves blooming out and they seem healthy. I wonder if since the night we moved it was a really cold wind that made my plant have some kinda of issue now... and I wonder if I should remove the brown leaves and leave the roots... they are really long. I do not water from the top.. there is a bottom vase that I add more water every 2 weeks with plant food. Please I need to some help!

Comments (8)

• jean001a
    12 years ago

Any chance of posting some images to help us?

Beyond that, if an entire leaf is brown, remove it because it's not helping the plant.

• sheylangel
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm not quite sure how to post a picture.. :/

• franknjim
    12 years ago

We have a rather detailed explanation over in the Hosta forum on how to post photos here on GW using Photobucket.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to post photos

• sheylangel
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thanks you so much

{{gwi:361543}}

Lets see if it works. thanks again

• bunnycat
    12 years ago

Yikes! Could be wind burn, as the stems still look stiff.
    Probably in too big a pot, don't know what the water situation is from the photo. Is there a water resevoir underneath? (you mentioned a vase)
    Also looks like two AVs could be there together.
    Usual advice it to downsize the pot, plant 1-1-1 perlite, vermiculite, peat or AV mix. Then water sparingly and put a baggie over it (mini greenhouse effect)

• sheylangel
    Original Author
    12 years ago

sorry about the mistaking with names.. I'm from another country and my vocabulary its a little limited. Here its another pic showing how the pot is and how the watering works.

{{gwi:361544}}

So I don't need to remove the brown leaves.. just resizing would be enough? So sad it got like that.. thanks for the advice

• stonesriver
    12 years ago

Hello:

1. Yes, remove the dying leaves. You can use a sharp, sterilized knife. Just be careful to not cut into the new leaves.

2. Trim off the bottom 1/3 of the root ball and brush away as much of the soil as you can.

2. Fill small plastic cup or pot with moistened (not real wet) perlite (you can find small bags at Wal-Mart, Lowes, Home Depot, etc.). Put AV down in the perlite. You want the soil damp but not soggy wet. Also, make sure the pot is a small one.

3. Put cup/pot in a one gallon sealable plastic bag. Inflate by using a straw to add air. Or, you can use a deli container. I like the 32 ounce ones from Wal-Mart that they put salads in.

4. Put in well-lit place but NOT in direct sunlight.

Here's a hint: If you use the plastic bag, put a layer of damp perlite in the bottom and set the cup/pot down in it as an anchor so the pot won't fall over. You may need to reinflate the bag.

I leave my plants like this until I see new, rigorous growth and there are no longer dying leaves.

Hope this helps. I'm sure someone else can add to it or offer another solution. Use the one that works best for you.

Linda

• sheylangel
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thank you for the help.. I already started to treat it. Now it is just wait.