Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Propagating AV Leaves - Question

Posted by ngbehht 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 12, 14 at 14:19

I've searched the forums, but couldn't find the answer for my quesion, so I'm hoping someone can chime in.

I'm receiving some leaves today from Lyndon Lyon and I was wondering, is it possible to store the leaves until tomorrow or the next day... or maybe even this weekend?

I'm asking because I'm waiting for some things (medium ingredients) in the mail that I believe will be at my house by Friday.

I can still put the leaves down tonight if I have to, but it would be better for them if I could wait, however, I don't want to jeopardize the leaves in any way.

Thanks! Appreciate anyone's comments.

Sharon

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Propagating AV Leaves - Question

I don't remember how Lyons packs their leaves but a lot will depend on how they look when you get them. If they seem in good condition, a day won't hurt.

If they look like you need to do something, then do something.

What are your plans for setting them? So much depends on the condition they are in when you get them. Hopefully it will be good, but sometimes there is some damage or they are a little limp. Then ask.

Otherwise, you can simply put them in water for a couple of days, but be sure to mark them so you don't mix up the varieties.

If you plan on using Solo cups, you could even use those. Enjoy your new plants!

(I'm sure some of the experts will be along eventually too.)

Diana

This post was edited by quimoi on Wed, Mar 12, 14 at 16:05

o

Hi, and thanks for responding! I got my leaves and they look great, not limp at all. The reason I wanted to wait is because I'm waiting for some perlite from repotme . com and I was going to mix it with my African violet mix I also bought from repotme a few weeks back.

I thought it would give the leaves a better chance at growing with 2 parts perlite....what do you think?

The mix I have right now is called Violet Classic potting mix and it contains fine vermiculite, coir, and small sized perlite. I'm wondering if that would be okay.

I've got small 2 oz clear cups for them and put drainage holes in bottom. I'll put them in a seedling starter with cover and warming mat underneath, in a bright west window that gets no direct sun.

What do you guys think? Any suggestions, should I wait for the perlite to mix more into my mix, or should I go for it tonight?

Thanks so much....sorry this is so long.

o

I think the leaves would root in the potting soil alone, but it might take longer for the babies to appear. Things seem to move along more quickly if the mix is lighter. I tend to use my normal mix, but add extra vermiculite or perlite, or both. I'm not an expert, but I've read that the lighter the mix the better. Some people put the leaves in straight verm or perlite!

Plus, it makes sense that the more air that can get to the leaf, the less chance of rot. :)

Have fun!

o

I don't use a soil (or potting) mix; I use perlite and vermiculite, but I would guess that many soil mixes might be a little heavy on their own so the perlite is a good idea. I'm so glad the leaves came okay and they should be fine for a day.

I have 1 oz. cups that I use for little ones (mostly) and use the 3 oz. ones for standards and usually put 2 leaves (sometimes 3) in those, but 2 oz. should be just fine. If you have to water them waiting for perlite, you can even write the name on a little piece of tape and stick it on the leaf. It's better than mixing them up. I did that when I had a shoebox full of crowns re-rooting. I use cloth bandage tape for marking pots a lot since I can move it around so that's what I used. (Like adhesive tape but woven.)

If you get chilled, limp or damaged leaves, then there are some other tricks to try to work with those but it's so much better if they're in great shape :)

Diana

o

Oh boy.....we'll....I hope they don't die now. I went ahead and put them in because the mix actually looked like it had a lot of perlite in it. I should have been patient and waited. Do you think they'll be ok?? I'm new at this, obviously...

We shall see. I hope the soil mix isn't too damp, because it's so dense.... But it felt so airy and light, and I only sprayed it with a spray bottle before I put leaves in. I guess I'll keep my fingers crossed.

o

By the way, my mix is "soil-less".....a free draining blend of coir, sponge rock (perlite), and vermiculite.....

o

Your soil looks good. Your description of airy and light is exactly what you want with violet soil. Water heavily and then watch to see how long they take to use the water. You'll be able to tell if they stay too wet too long. There is also no problem with re-potting them into a different soil as long as roots have not started to form. Once rooting begins, I wouldn't disturb them.

Linda

o

Linda's advice is good. And leaves are generally very tough. The cat upended the whole shoebox full of mine and they got put back together with no harm done. If your mix seems to be staying too wet, go ahead and redo them.

They look nice!

Diana

o

• Posted by ngbehht 6 - Cold Massachuset (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 16, 14 at 9:45

Okay, I wanted to post my final setup and see what you all think. I mixed in some more perlite and put them all in a plastic flat with a 7" vented dome. I've placed a heat mat underneath, with a towel in between the flat and the heat which is giving me a nice even 75-77 degrees.

They're sitting in a south-west window that never gets direct sun, just really bright daylight all day. The sun sets in the left corner of my pics. At night, I pull them out a few feet from the window....just in case, the temps outside are running between 20-30ish. The house is kept at about 68-69.

Question....if they get dry, can I water them with a little dropper, lol....I don't want to over do it. When I filled the cups, I just sprayed the mix with tepid/warm water, I didn't drench it...so I'm sure it'll eventually dry out, even with the dome. I'm not fertilizing either...I'm going to wait for any ears to appear first.

Do you think I'm doing this right? Is there anything else I should be doing? Right now I think I'm ready to just leave them alone and wait. (The cup in the right corner was put down 3 weeks ago, that's why it's different)

Thanks
Sharon

o

And with the dome

o

No comment whatsoever on this luxury spa for violet leaves, lol!

I guess it should work but can't comment much except watch the humidity and keep an eye out for an excess. Yes, you can water them if they begin to get dry.

It's a good thing my shoeboxes full of leaves can't see them. Really it's nice and I'll let someone else comment. I think the closest I ever had to heat (for leaves) was when they were near the hot air register.

I don't know if powdery mildew might be an issue in this situation but I had problems with it at various points, especially once when I was starting out with vendor's leaves in high humidity. It's good to be prepared anyway. (It wasn't Lyon's.)

I believe I treated a couple for perlite dust this time. The next time, I took a tissue to it before spraying with Lysol.

Very nice setup!

Diana

o

Thanks Diana, yea I'm watching the humidity levels and keeping it vented to keep up circulation. I've seemed to read both good and bad about heat... so I'm being cautious. Maybe I'll throw another thin towel underneath to take it down to 70. Not sure, like I said. There's a lot of experts here, and I am so new at this, I just hope I'm not setting up for failure :-).

o

Watering with a dropper??? Water well (saturate the mix) and then let them get a bit dry before you water again. The reason you have a light mix is so the leaves don't stay too wet for too long but you must water them well if you expect them to survive and reproduce.

When you have a heat mat under your plants watch for too much condensation on the dome. If it gets drippy, vent for a while until the condensation goes away. A little moisture inside the dome is fine.

I keep my vent closed unless it gets too wet inside. It rarely happens. I don't think I have ever had PM on my domed leaves. If you do place a pan of sulfur inside the dome.

Keep an eye on the leaves in regard to the bright sunlight and the closed dome with heat mat. Watch for a heat build-up. It probably won't happen but just to be safe, keep an eye on it.

And don't be afraid to water!

Linda

o

Thank you sooo much Linda :-). I was soo afraid to give them too much water for fear of drowning them or rot or something - oh boy, when i get home today i will water them and let it drain out the bottom. They're not getting any "sun" light, they're in a south-west (definately more west) window, so they're getting natural day light. It's a West wall, but sort of in the middle, lol, if that makes any sense.

I also put another towel on top of the heat mat so it's only getting to about 72-ish inside the dome. Is that ok or is 75 better?

I was wondering why there was only a slight little 'fog' on the dome...... not enough water... oh boy, i'm learning and thanks again!!

o

I found a digital humidity gauge at Walmart for under $10. It is helping me keep an eye on the humidity levels under my dome. It gives the temperature also.
Mary

o

Ha! I "just" ordered an AcuRite 613 Indoor Humidity Monitor from Amazon!! So funny that you wrote that just as I was ordering one. Should work out great. Thanks!

o

Sharon,

Sometimes leaf pots can be difficult to water so here's a trick: use a turkey baster. Usually one baster-full of water is enough for one cup for one watering. If there is any water left at the bottom you can suck it up easily so your leaves aren't sitting in water. Easy-peasy!

I don't use a towel, humidifier, or anything else for my leaves. I plant them, dome them and turn on the heat mat! I'm pretty successful-I have over 350 varieties. Not plants, varieties!

I was concerned about a possible heat build-up in the Western exposure but I see you're in zone 6, as am I. I don't think that will be a problem for a while. Spring seems to have forgotten us.

Linda

o

Wow, what a great idea!! A turkey baster :-). I watered them, very carefully, in my farmers sink with a really really low stream of warm water. Then i placed them on a rack so any extra water could drain out. What a difference in the humidity on the dome!! wow - NO drips, but humid! i kept checking on it til' we went to bed and all seemed great. i just ordered a thermometer/hygrometer yesterday to put inside to get temp/humidity levels... right now i've been using husbands laser temp. gun.

You don't use a towel... do you have a temp control on your mat? I thought mine was getting too hot without the towels - up near 85 degrees, so i put the 2 towels under the flat and put the leaf cups on a rack, inside the flat. The temp is now staying at around 72-73.

I'm in Rowley, MA and yes, I think Spring is nowhere in sight, and summer will hit us like a brick in a few weeks lol. Oh well, something else we'll have to complain about :-).

o

Nope-no temperature control, no towel. No idea how warm it is in the dome. I do it all by sight and touch. BUT- I have been doing this for a very long time and I have a BS in Horticulture Science.

Provide plants with the things they cannot get for themselves-proper soil, water, etc. and they will grow. More plants are killed by love and too much attention then anything else. A little neglect is a good thing.

Linda

P.S. I never complain about summer!!! I love the heat!!!

o

I started using a hygrometer when I lost some of my leaves. Now with the hygrometer I can check on them and make sure the humidity is down around 50% to 60% instead of 80%. I can open the dome a bit or close it up tight.
Mary

o

Wow Linda, sight and touch - then you're a real pro! BS in Horticulture, that's great. You seem to have a lot of information and knowledge to share, and I appreciate it so much, as I'm sure everyone else does too, thanks! I think "now" I'm ready to give my plants the neglect they need, lol.... and stop fussing over every little thing :-).

Mary, yes the hygrometer will help this beginner learn some more about temps/humidity "under the dome", and hopefully I won't lose many. Right now, all I'm going to do is watch for dryness, and condensation buildup so I know when to vent and just be patient and hope for the best. If all goes well, I've been looking into Chimeras - and saw one today at Lyndon's... oh my, "Harmony's Little Stinker" I just loved the look of it...

Anyways... this is turning into quite a fun hobby!!

o

duplicate

This post was edited by fortyseven on Wed, Mar 19, 14 at 3:50

o

Hi Sharon, As the author Mark Twain once quipped, Massachusetts has two seasons ... The Fourth of July ... and winter.
Joanne

o

Sharon,

Are your leaves on a rack or on the bottom of the flat?

Also, your variegated leaves may be slower to send up babies. Variegates have less chlorophyll, (that is what causes the lighter areas) and therefore they are less robust. Usually when trying to grow a variegated plant, it is best to choose a leaf that has as little variegation as possible. So, don't panic if they seem to lag behind the others!

I think the 'touch and feel' method of growing is akin to people who are really good cooks. (Definitely not me!) They throw this and that into the pot and it tastes great when they are finished. They just have a feel for it. When I try that my dogs won't even eat it.

And I agree; this is a fun hobby!

Joanne,

That quote gave me a laugh! I feel as though he was talking about the Ohio Valley as well-at least this year!

Linda

o

yes, agreed. J

This post was edited by fortyseven on Sun, May 4, 14 at 1:35

o

Ahh yes... Mark Twain...lol, and here in MA, we do both of those with a bang, that's for sure! But... I love all the season's of New England :-) - we just bought a tree farm last year on 9 acres, so the scenery alone of all the seasons is gorgeous... it's just that these winters can give you real "cabin fever" when they're not so mild as in previous years.

California sun would sure be nice right about now!!

Linda, yes, I put a cooling rack that fit perfectly inside the 10x20 flat, and put my plants on top of that. I had the thought that maybe sitting directly on the bottom would keep them too hot....maybe I'm wrong? and maybe it's not necessary? again...not sure.

The varigated leaves... good info, I've read exactly what you said about them taking longer, and using the greenest leaves from the plant, but I had to go with what Lyndon sent me. One thing I did notice is that some of them are really tiny, and I wondered what row they came from or if they were taken from mature plants, but they know what they're doing, so I just went with it :-). I chose all semi-mini's.

Oh and I forgot... last night, I caved, went back to Lyndon and bought the "little stinker" chimera plant, not leaves... I just couldn't resist, the leaves grabbed me. I think I'm in trouble now, lol.

o

If you try to start chimeras from leaves, you'll usually end up with a solid color plant like that of one of the parents. The leaves don't carry the combined genes to give it the stripes. Those should be started by sucker for the best chance of getting a chimera baby - and even then it's unknown if it it will actually be a chimera until the new plant actually blooms.

o

Sharon,

It's perfectly okay to set your leaves on a rack. What I wanted to make sure of was that there is no water under the rack. In my conditions, a covered dome on a heat mat with water in the flat is too much and the leaves will rot. If the tray is not domed, the water is great for providing extra humidity. So, just checking!

The leaves from a semi-mini will be small. I have micro-minis and the leaves are about the size of a baby's pinky fingernail; they root just fine!

Chimeras cannot be grown from leaves (well, they can but it won't bloom true). In order to get the true chimera type, it must be obtained from a sucker. A leaf will usually produce the main color of the bloom not the chimera type. Even suckers can sometimes revert so most growers will bloom their chimeras to make sure they are blooming true.

And, yes, you are in big trouble! You are so hooked!!!

Linda

o

Hi all! Yes I read all about chimeras and not being able to propagate them as 'easily'... my intent is just to have a pretty plant to look at lol. I don't think I'd even want to attempt making more plants from one, I think I'll just enjoy it's company :-).

And, no Linda, no water in my flat. I only put them up a bit on the rack so that the heat wouldn't be so 'direct' I guess from the heat mat under the flat. I'm getting good humidity in the dome now (since I watered the poor things with more than a dropper!!) and I'm venting it if it looks like too much. Other than that, I'm pretty much leaving them alone... just keeping an eye out for what was suggested.

You say the semi-mini's leaves will be small, but I chose all semi's and only a few of the leaves are small...the others look medium sized. That's why I wasn't sure where on the plant they harvested the leaves if they're all semi's. I was just curious though, so who knows...time will tell (fingers crossed!).

o

Hi Sharon
A tree farm! What kind of trees? When I think of NE, I usually think of evergreens. I lived my early years in MA, but don't recall Rowley. Is it in the western part of the state?
Joanne

o

Violet categories are loosely based so the leaves can vary quite a bit in size in each category. I think they look fine in your picture.

Linda

o

Linda is so right about "loosely." Usually a mini is obvious, but the distinction between a leaf from a standard and a semi may not be nearly as obvious. (Just been there, done that.)

Diana in PA

o

Okay, well that's ok... I was just curious why some were so small, it doesn't matter :-), thanks.

And yes, a tree farm. Unfortunately, the previous owners had let the trees go for a few years and they're now all really tall, but really pretty (Christmas trees). We've got lots of blue spruce and douglas firs, lots of white birch (which i love!). We're going to plant a lot of christmas trees, magnolia's and rare/unique weeping japanese maples and go from there. It should be fun, but a lot of work. It's a pretty place, we were lucky to find it.

Rowley is North of Boston, about an hour. A rural town in between Ipswich and Newbury... lots of horses and space, lol... we love it. New Hampshire is right up the street!

o

Hi sounds lovely. My second guess would have been near the NH border. Spent a lot of summers in NH as a kid.j

o

when putting down leaves, do the bottom of the leaves need to touch the soil? I haven't seen this addressed anywhere before, and couldn't really tell from the posted pics, but looks like the leaves are touching the soil. please help me - totally newbie - and I've been bitten by the AV bug! LOL
Thanks in advance for any info...
Debbie

o

Yea Forty, New Hampshire is beautiful in summer (& all year!!)...we go up just about every weekend to the lake, it's a great family place to be :-).

Debbie, I'm not sure I'm the one to answer you, but I will say that I've read that some people say it's ok to touch the soil with the leaves, and others say to come just above. Of all the websites I've looked at for propagating, the pictures mostly show them just touching. I think the problem would come if your mix stays too wet, then the leaves would probably rot...

I'm hoping someone else chimes in here, there are so many experts here that have been doing this for years....me, I'm like you, a newbie to propagating AV's, but so far, I'm loving it and learning a lot. I'll try to put up up better picture tomorrow of my leaves when there's more light :-)

o

thanks for your reply, ngbehht. I've put down a couple leaves, one is touching the soil (barely) and one isn't. they are in Ziploc bags, and so far, no rotting...been there for a couple weeks now. I didn't want to buy leaves and lose them by not doing this properly. I think the next ones I do, i'll not have them touching the soil. these are off a NOID I have, just to experiment and see if I can actually get some to grow... THEN i'll order some nice leaves...
thanks again for the help
Debbie

o

Debbie,

I try to keep the leaf from touching the soil. In my conditions, it is more liable to rot. Sometimes the petiole is so short, it can't be avoided. I've rooted both ways but the 'not-touching' works better for me.

Experimenting is the name of the game. It is how you find out what works and what doesn't for you and your growing conditions. And using a plant that is not one of your favorites is also a great idea!

Linda

o

thanks for your reply, whitelacey. I think in the future i'll do as you suggest and not have the leaves touching the soil to minimize the chance of losing the leaves to rot. There's a million beautiful violet leaves out there just waiting to be rooted!! LOL
Deb

o

Deb,

You are so hooked... ;)

Linda

o

yup, been bit BAD - but that's a GOOD thing...LOL

o

Yep, she's a gonner! lol... I love it!

o

We got another one!! High five!!!

Linda

o
re: propagating av leaves - question - i finally have mousies!!!

Finally, I have baby mousies coming up! Two days ago, I noticed teeny, tiny little green things poking out of the mix of two of my leaf sets. Hubby said "they're just weeds coming up", lolol... And the next day, another leaf set with greenies!! And today, another...I'm so excited! And the first ones that came up have gotten bigger in just 2 days...so cool.

Question..., do I continue to water as usual or do I now start using fertilizer? These things are tiny, so I'm not sure.

Also, when they get bigger and filling up the cup before separating, how do I water without getting the babies wet? They're hard enough to water now with just the leaves. I have them in little 2 oz cups and I'm using the turkey baster that was suggested, to water now.

One more question, should I keep them under the dome with the heat mat until they're ready to pot up, or do they need to be hardened off when the time comes? Temp is a pretty steady 75 with humidity 85-89%. Every single leaf set still looks great, I haven't lost one.

I'll have pictures tomorrow, it's late and I'm ready for bed, lol.

Any suggestions are appreciated (Linda) :-)

Sharon

o

I just got myself a condiment bottle, you know, one of those that they have ketchup and mustard in at hot dog stands. It has a tiny nozzle and makes it fairly easy to squirt water between leaves... But I've also got mine on a watering mat, less for watering, more to increase the humidity, still, bottom watering is quick in a pinch. (Domes didn't work all that well for me this winter).
Come to think of it though, I wouldn't stress too much about water on baby leaves - if they were to stain, they will be long gone before the plant is a decent size anyways...

Karin

o

Duplicate reply.

This post was edited by fortyseven on Mon, May 5, 14 at 22:02

o

Hi, Sharon, congratulations, good job! The mousies will not need fertilizer because you have them planted in a mix that contains fertilizer. Those domes are good, I use the exact same ones. Make sure they have enough bright indirect light. The cup in in the right hand corner looks too tall. I usually cut those types of cups down by one third and then poke a few holes in the bottom with an X acto knife. It is easier to poke holes when the pot is full.
However, if this leaf has started to send up babies, or if it still looks crisp and healthy, just leave it alone.

Joanne

This post was edited by fortyseven on Sun, May 4, 14 at 22:54

o

Sharon,

You do not need to worry about getting water on the leaves. It is a MYTH- MYTH- MYTH- that you cannot get water on violet leaves. Do not get COLD water on the leaves. This is what causes spotting. Blot any water that is sitting in the crown and dry away from the light.

Most experienced growers regularly wash their violets' leaves to remove dust and gunk. I washed two trays of violets over the week-end.

I start feeding when the leaves appear. I do not use the potting soil with fertilizer because I have no control over how much fertilizer the plants are getting and when the fertilizer is used up. If you want, you can feed them with a weak solution of fertilizer.

I start to harden off when the leaves are about the size of a dime. Just gradually acclimate them to the surrounding environment. I would turn off the heat mat first for a few days before I started opening the dome.

It sounds like you are doing great. Make sure you post pictures!

Linda

o

Thank you!! I will definitely post pictures, I'll post a couple tiny babies up now. Thanks Linda for your expertise!! They're getting bigger every day.

o

Couple more...:-)

o

Exciting, isn't it???

Linda

o

Wow i didnt realize it could be so complicated! I stole a leaf from a grocery store av, stuck it in a condiment cup with some dirt, put a plastic cup over it and left it in a north window.

I looked at it like twice...got two plants out of it. And turns out Im an av natural :-)

My plants are still young, but here they are! They each started blooming when they got to a four inch diameter, starting with the one on the left. They must be happy.

o

If it were too complicated, they'd have probably died out by now ;)

Diana

o

So true Diana! And I had no idea how much I would like these little guys :-3 I just bought a clearance av the other day. Looks like something fell on it (a lot of leaves broken off), but it's a healthy plant, with one beautiful purple and white double flower. I'm afraid I may be losing my fight with the av bug!

o

Lauraeli,

Resistance is futile.......

Linda

o

Soon you'll be joining the rest of us. "Hello, my name is Vikki and I'm an AV-holic . . ."

o

Sharon, makes it all worthwhile, doesn't it? Spring must be here! J

o

We can quit any time ;)

Diana

o

Clearance plant :-) I paid $1.70.

(Getting off topic now...whoops)

o

Might be Optimara Cora. I've been looking at its variations today. If it is, it may change a little (not for the worse). Nice find!

See those two leaves forming a V below the broken stem? That is a sucker. You can take it off or maybe let it grow and get another plant from it.

Diana

o

We CAN quit any time...(we just don't want to. ) ;)

o

Yup, quit anytime we want . . . . (But why would we want to?)

o

Yes it does seem to have a few suckers on it. It is a mess, shape-wise, and I am entirely unsure what to do with it! I'm thinking I will let it fill out a bit, into some semblance of a circle, before I decide what to take off.

Optimara cora! Yes, I believe you are right. I never would've figured it out. :-)

o

We seem to have had so many questions about suckers here and you gave us such a wonderful photo of one that I wanted to point it out :)

As I said, I've been looking at Cora a lot because I had a very nice one and I'm not sure what I'd get if I order from Selective Gardener. It's a distinctive plant though, not like all these white-edged ones I suddenly seem to have accumulated.

Diana

o

I am curious whether i should remove the flowers and flower stalks so that it will focus on leaves...it would seem a shame.

Opinions either way?

o

You probably should, especially since thrips can hide in the blossoms. However, if you wish to risk it, it would probably grow just fine if you left them on.

I do disbud them because of the possibility of insects and isolate them for awhile (about 3 mos. although some will say 6). I've never had a problem come from my Lowe's though.

Diana

o

I dont see any evidence of bugs luckily. I did have thrips on my other AV though. This was before it started flowering. They were attacking one leaf, which I removed. It's been months and havent seen any more.

I have also seen ocassional evidence of foliar nematodes on my other AVs. I thought that was the beginning of the end. But my AVs are very hardy, and healthy as can be. I have seen foliar nematodes all but destroy a begonia, while the impatiens in the same pot flourished without symptom.

My AVs are always isolated from each-other so Im not concerned about it. I find it very interesting though, how one plant is overcome by an infestation of bugs, and another shrugs it off. It piques my curiousity.

o

Lauraeli
I have found Optimara Cora to be very sturdy.
In my experience, it can focus on growing both leaves and flowers at the same time. If you do not see any evidence of thrips, such as spilled pollen or tiny little specks on the blossom that look like lint, it is probably ok. That variety of plant does tend to form suckers. At some point, when the plant is bigger, you might want to remove them. They will root easily and yield many new plants. Cora leaves and suckers tend to root easily.
Joanne

o

I am sure I will do that :-) I dont have any experience removing suckers. I hope it is easy.

o

Diana
I have many leaves of what Joanne believes to be Cora put in the propagation cups. It is a sturdy, floriforous plant.
When and IF I get babies, I will be looking for homes.

o

Lauralei,

Are you sure it was thrips attacking your leaf? Thrips feed on pollen, not leaves.

Linda

o

Im sure thrips feed on pollen too...and of course, they prefer flowers over foliage. But I have known them to also attack the undersides of leaves. And commonly, too. Perhaps not as noticeable on an AV, since they have thick leaves. Anyway I didnt get out the magnifying glass, but Im quite sure that's what they were.

Not a terrible infestation by themselves, especially on a healthy plant, but they spread infection from plant to plant :-( such as viruses. And viruses, as we all well know, are not treatable in a plant.

o

We can quit any time ... but who would want to ...
For those who make a serious business of this and raise many, sounds like an exciting part time business or hobby!
It is very encouraging.
Joanne

This post was edited by fortyseven on Fri, May 9, 14 at 23:48

o

Hi there,
I've been looking at heat mats. Do they really help? My concern is the winter time, with babies coming up. I'm wondering if anyone has done a comparison on growing with and without?

And about what temperature should the inside of the dome be? Mine are growing in flats with a 7" dome over the top. Babies are sprouting, but I thought it might help to provide some bottom heat for them. The daytime temp (within the domes) is about 68 F. Haven't measured the evening/night time temp yet, but am a little worried it's getting a little too cool in there.

Thanks for any insight!
Best,
Judy

o

I think gentle bottom heat can help. You don't want it to get too warm though. I haven't bothered with bottom heat for years though so someone else can probably help you. I think the newer cables and such are thermostatically controlled. I used it for starting seeds in the basement.

If it gets too cold, you will have problems. Somebody will likely come along with something specific, but I'd try to get over 70, maybe around 75 or thereabouts anyway. I had them in front of the hot air register one time and they did fine. It was pretty warm in that area.

Diana

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here