Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

A big request...Picture thread

Oakley
14 years ago

I've been to the Gallery and it doesn't have what I'm looking for...and it's kind of dead. :(

To keep inspiring me, would it be possible if you all would post pictures in this thread for my entertainment? lol

What I would like to see are pictures where you're standing back from the flowers, I'd like to see your set-ups, either in plant stands, window sills, on a table by itself.

Thank you in advance! (I'm on the phone so I can't proofread)

Comments (11)

• loveviolets
    14 years ago

I think we do need more pics here as I love looking at them also.
    wilma

• Oakley
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Wilma! While I enjoy close-ups of the flowers, just like the flowers in my garden, what I really want to see is the whole shebang at a distance. That's what inspires me more than anything.

• Christine
    14 years ago

Oakleyok,

You're right that the Gallery is kinda dead, so I posted a few pics there.

Also, your post made me realize that I've been focusing on the flower or plant, not the "whole shebang at a distance." I like to use blooming AVs as decorations but haven't photographed any that way. I'll have to do that!

I'm eager to see how others decorate with AVs.

• quinnfyre
    14 years ago

Sorry, I promised a pic a while back of my setup. I've been rather distracted since then. Let's see what tomorrow brings. I have someone coming over to get a squirrel out of my roof - I used to like squirrels once upon a time, but this is now the third time I've had squirrels in my roof, fighting and gnawing and making all sorts of noise. Not to mention digging up my heirloom bulbs just as they're coming up, taking a bite, and tossing it aside. Not a fan anymore.

Back to my point... I will see if I can snap a pic and upload it tomorrow. It's not fancy, but it works for me.

• quinnfyre
    13 years ago

Sorry, took me a long time to get back to this, but here are a few pics of my setup.

{{gwi:361925}}

{{gwi:361926}}

{{gwi:361927}}

• larry_b
    13 years ago

Hi,

Sorry, I don't have any pictures of my setup and won't for a couple of months. Not anything that anyone would want to see. My entire collection was in bad need of being repotted. I mean major repotting. It had been 18 to 20 months since the last one. Life kind of got in the way and I was lucky to water them when needed. Anyway, the last were repotted 10 days ago and all look very good under plastic. I am looking forward to around the first week in June for the blooms to really start showing up.

Larry

• Oakley
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Quinn, those are fantastic! Is that a regular lamp with a fluorescent bulb in it in the last picture?

What type of light does your sansevieria get? It looks pretty good. I'm growing 4 which are still in the youngish stage and I get so confused when I read about how much light they need.

Is that a Peperomia I see? That's a plant I've fallen in love with.

Larry, I look forward to your pictures!

• quinnfyre
    13 years ago

It is a desk lamp, one of those with an arm so you can angle it over whatever parts of your desk it can reach, with a 23 or 30 W CFL in it (I can't remember which one I put in there.) The sansevierias used to be in a south window, but I've since moved them to that bookshelf which is still near a south window, but is now about 3ft away from the window rather than right next to it. As far as I know, sans are pretty tolerant of all sorts of lighting conditions. They'll just grow a little faster with more light, and you might even see them bloom with enough light. There are actually two peperomias there. I lost all my fancy variegated ones because I always forgot to water them where they were. This is part of the reason I moved them to this shelf. It's next to all the others, and I'm more likely to pay attention. I've mainly retired my other shelf for growing plants, because I never seem to pay attention to that one, for some reason. It works out fine. I can now store all my growing supplies there, plus the cat gets a shelf to bask in, which prevents her from trying to squeeze in between plants to get a peek at all the cheeky little birds that sit out the window and taunt her.

• threas
    13 years ago

Quinn, Your setup is awesome!Or should I say setup(s). LOL
    I have a couple setups too.
    Theresa

{{gwi:361928}}{{gwi:113691}}{{gwi:113693}}

{{gwi:113714}}{{gwi:113723}}{{gwi:113695}}

{{gwi:361929}}{{gwi:361930}}{{gwi:113745}}

• threas
    13 years ago

Oakleyok & everyone else, I forgot this was the AV forum! LOL You probably didn't want to see all plant setups,just AV setups. I got carried away! :P

Theresa

• larry_b
    13 years ago

Hi Theresa,

Plant setups are fine. Most of us have plants other than violets anyway. It's nice to see setups no matter what the plants are. It can give us ideas.

Larry

Sponsored
Interior Style by Marisa Moore
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars57 Reviews
Northern Virginia Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2013-2020!