11 years ago

WOW!!!

• Debra Andruska
    11 years ago

Beautiful! Wow...

Deb

• Leafhead
    11 years ago

Awesome!! All you need is a little creature living in there..
    Perfect for a small frog or lizard...

• paul_
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Keeping a herp in there would greatly increase the difficulty level, Leafhead (which you might already be aware of), due to the difficulties of meeting both the animal's needs as well as the plants'. That said, a couple poison dart frogs or perhaps a couple of very small lizards -- like the small species of anoles -- would definitely be "doable". The biggest challenge would be keeping the little buggers IN the terr and OUT of the pc fans.

A couple additional pics I should have included yesterday:
    1) Blue Twinkle .... my "mini" shrub

{{gwi:69789}}

Though this is a mini AV, as has been mentioned on other threads (innumerable times, I imagine), because minis often have trailers in their "blood" they tend to sucker profusely. I actually chopped this one down to 1/2inch from the ground not terribly long ago -- I think it was late November/early December. You can see how "badly" it was set back. I have no idea how many crowns are actually there.

2) This is my other large terr -- a 55 gal

{{gwi:362016}}

Neither terr is sealed. The biggest cause of fungal issues in terrs is when they are sealed. Humid moving air is a good thing. Humid stagnant air is begging for a fungal attack.

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    11 years ago

How about a few "How-to's"?
    Linda

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    11 years ago

Paul,
    What is the plant that is to the right-front of the violet in your 55 gallon?

Linda

• Leafhead
    11 years ago

Is that a Haworthia to the right of your AV?

• paul_
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Glad you like the photos, folks.

Too bad GW doesn't do "stickies" for posts. Imagine there might be others down the line who would be interested in this. "Stickying" post like this would save a lot of headache -- not to mention hand cramps. .

I do get tired, after a time, battling the "urban legend" that AV's can't be grown in a terr. (I think I've given adequate proof how wrong that idea is.) Much of that misconception's "supporting evidence" is the result of a lack of knowledge on what a terrarium can be and the fact that how one sets it up will depend upon the plants one wishes to use.

Linda, the best starting point is to peruse the Terrarium forum. Start with the FAQ and then start looking through the posts. (Using the Search function may help find those areas most meaningful to you.) The Terr forum tends to move in fits and starts. Typically once folks get the info they need, they drop out of sight, unfortunately.

Leafhead, no, not a Haworthia. A Haw. would never be able to survive the moist conditions I maintain in both of my terrs. They would require a MUCH drier set-up.

Linda & Leafhead, not a 100% sure of that plant's ID. I know it is a bromeliad, and I am quite certain it is a type of Tillandsia (a subFamily within the Family Bromeliaceae). But beyond that I have no idea.

And in case the aforeposted pictures weren't enough, here is a final one -- from 4 or 5 years ago. This was a standard AV I got off the "death row" section at Lowes. Got it because it was dirt cheap. I planted it in my 55 gal and it did well for a couple of years. Far TOO WELL, truth be told. I finally had to rip it out (and that is no exaggeration -- its roots had completely infiltrated the media of almost the entire tank). It had gotten so large -- 12" in diameter -- that it was muscling out all the other plants in the tank. I shipped it down to a friend in Florida where, last I heard, it is still happily residing on her lanai.

{{gwi:362017}}

• ProfSprout
    11 years ago

Very impressive, Paul!

Sprout

• suecirish
    11 years ago

Very nice!

• paul_
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Glad you liked them, folks.

• canukgirl
    10 years ago

I can imagine a mini-size orchid plant doing well in your terr. Not in the soil, but in the mossy area. They love humidity.

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

I love looking at these. I think this may be my winter project. ;)
    Linda

• paul_
    Original Author
    10 years ago

â¢Posted by canukgirl
    I can imagine a mini-size orchid plant doing well in your terr.

LOL. Indeed! Currently I have around 11 orchids in the first tank pictured and another 10 or so orchids in the second tank pictured (the one with the temple atop the tepui).

Linda, depending upon just what plants you decide upon, fall and spring may be the better time to get plants if there are any you decide to purchase via mail (temperatures are less extreme in case the PO does something stupid with the package). But winter is a great time to plan out a tank design and get all the "bones" in place.