Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What Have I Got (pics)

Posted by davemichigan z 5/6 (SE Michigan) (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 27, 10 at 15:07

Here are some African Violets that I purchased in the past 2 to 3 weeks. They are all NOIDs from local grocery stores. I am wondering if there is any term to describe their color patterns:

AV #1:
Photobucket

AV# 2:
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What Have I Got

AV# 3 (the color looks different from that in the picture):
Photobucket

AV# 4:
Photobucket

Does AV# 3 looks like a chimera? I have never owned a chimera so I don't know. The pictures that I have seen have pinwheel pattern. Mine doesn't really fit that but it is patterned nevertheless.

o
RE: What Have I Got (pics)

HI,
None of the plants look like chimeras to me. As for naming them, it is almost an impossible task. Just sit back and enjoy the bloom while it lasts.
Fred in nj

o
RE: What Have I Got (pics)

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I believe Dave wasn't asking for names; rather, he was asking if there was terminology for the color patterns the flowers display. I'm not an expert on all the terms, but I would most likely describe the color patterns of your flowers pretty much the way they appear: edged. For the most part, it looks like you have edged ruffled pansy shaped flowers. The one you thought might be a chimera is not, in my opinion, but it does look like it is sporting. Either it was a blue-edged pansy sporting to a blue pansy with white fantasy, or the other way around.

There may be an actual term for the color pattern; hopefully someone else can chime in? Geneva edging is white edging, correct?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here