Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
almax881

Hybridizing in General. Picture Requests.

almax881
13 years ago

Is there a site available that shows pictures of hybridized plants and their parents? I have an interest in hybridizing and I�d love to see pictures of parent plants and their resulting progeny.

If anyone in the Forum has hybridized their own plants, would you post pictures of the parents and their hybrids? Just like looking at a family tree, I�d be interested to see the traits that are passed down.

For what it�s worth, two weeks ago I successfully seeded an Optimara Pennsylvania with an Everfloris EverGrace. I have a while to see how that cross will do.

Comments (9)

• irina_co
    13 years ago

The only thing for sure - it will be unkillable!

Wavy leaves are dominant, I think green edge is too, there is some blue in it - and blue is is definitely dominant, P. is star and Grace is Pansy, one of them is dominant - probably pansy.

You will have quite a variety.

No - the information about the parents is private and only recorded while you register the plants with AVSA, but it is not published. Every serious hybridizer makes meticulous records of all crosses - mainly to keep an account for dominant and recessive traits in each plant. The results of each cross probably will not make the cut to be released- but they will bring valuable information for future - or will be used for backcrossing to parent to reveal a recessive trait. Basically - most of the crosses are very well planned and the hybridizer is working to create something that he or she already envisioned.

I am anxious to see all your results!!

Irina

• andrewofthelemon
    13 years ago

Here are 2 great websites (and a GREAT community)for info on this.
    NOTE: because of gardenwebs rules, i am not allowed to post the first link, email me at andrewofthelemon@gmail.com to get it, it has easier info to get to than the forum one.

for this one above, once you get signed up, go to files and look around, the stuff is all there!

Another great one is
    violetreflectionsforum.com

Email me at andrewofthelemon@gmail.com to expidite your registration, if the yahoo one doesnt get accepted quick
    Andrew

• almax881
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Irina, according to my feeble calculations, the offspring should be a red, semidouble blooms with dark green, ruffled leaves with a red back. We'll see how it goes.

In the meantime, here are pics of the Evergrace pollen parent and the Pennsylvania seed parent with its seed pod.

Optimara Pennsylvania
    {{gwi:362051}}From Drop Box

Everfloris Evergrace
    {{gwi:362052}}From Drop Box

• irina_co
    13 years ago

Wow - little berry!

"Feeble calculations" - what wrong with them to call them "feeble"? There is always a chance that somebody would put us down - but why do it to yourself?

You will get a bunch of new seedlings - and some of them will be red semidoubles with wavy leaves with red backs - because these genes are available. Why not all - because you do not know what is hiding in a recessive pool of genes combined with dominant genes. You do not know if ruffled leaves on Evergrace are double dominant or dominant with something else recessive.

Tha's why you asked questions about parentage - if you would have all the genealogy - you would have better idea.
    My guess is - selfing is the answer - it will give you all combinations of recessive and dominant genes - and you will have Mendel laws in statistics. As far as I understand there are complex genes as well - that control not only flower type but leaf type - example - wasp comes with bustle leaves, etc, etc.

Plus you can predict to some extent how your combinations will show themselves- but you do not know if it will be WOW or so-so. But to start with - we need strong vigorous symmetrically growing plants - and you have excellent parents to start.

Waiting for the results

Irina

• Christine
    13 years ago

Irina is so right that you can get unexpected results depending on the recessive genes. I crossed Feather, a vintage blue and white with a variable green edge with a pink (recessive color) and fuschia one and got solid pink, pink and fuschia, pink and white, pink, white and green, pink and purple, lavender, solid purple, purple and white, and purple and green. Some flowers were plain, while others had ruffles and frills. The plants had different leaf shapes, colors and variegation appearance too. I had read online that a cross of a blue and pink should result in about half blue and half red, but I didn't get a single red one. I didn't get the variety that hybridizers get when using modern complex hybrids and non-recessive colors either.

It's really exciting to see what you get. Please keep us posted on the progress of your cross!

Donna

• irina_co
    13 years ago

Donna -

I love Feather - the only issue - it is a dropper. How did the seedlings behave were they all droppers? Did you get any feather pattern?

I.

• Christine
    13 years ago

Irina, one of my goals was to get a sticktite Feather on gorgeous variegated foliage. Most of the seedlings were sticktites, but a number of them were droppers. One thing I noticed was that some flowers dropped after a few days, while others only dropped after the blooms were turning brown and needed to come off anyway. I did get a lot of veining on the seedlings. In many cases the veining was partial - on certain petals, edges, etc. I didn't get a Feather look-alike though!

• almax881
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Just an update.

Below is a picture of the seedpod on the Optimara Pennsylvania. (The pollen parent is Everfloris' Evergrace.)

{{gwi:362053}}

• andrewofthelemon
    13 years ago

good luck getting what you want!
    it is nearly immpossible to tell the exact genes of one of these now with the sheer crazy amount of AVs out there
    hopefully, you'll get some amazing, never before seen sport, such as blue leaves...or an all black flower with red stripes?

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor