korina_gw

David Senk interview

korina
19 years ago

Oh. My. Ghod.

I want to have this man's babies.

Plant babies, you pervs!

Really.

Korina (I keep telling the boss I should go home...)

Here is a link that might be useful: The Violet Voice

Comments (20)

• larry_b
    19 years ago

Hi Korina,

You're such a tease. Anyway, thanks for making us aware of this article. I found it very fascinating. David sure does have some unusual looking violets. I think we spoke about beanstalk before on this forum.

Thanks again,

Larry

• robitaillenancy1
    19 years ago

I like these unusual plants and think they can be the way of the future for a lot of hybridizers.

David! What have you named that unusual variegation?

Nancy

• Ron_2
    19 years ago

Thanks Korina. Great info.
    Ron

• janet_a
    19 years ago

great article and terribly cool plants--!

• Cat_Gal
    19 years ago

Interesting website. Thanks for the link, Korina! Now we can learn more about the man who breeds these unusual voilets.

-Cat

• trishohiozone5_6
    19 years ago

Very nice interview. Thanks for letting us know about it. That unusual foliage is cool.
    Trish

• korina
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I'm glad everyone enjoyed it.

Now we just have to wait for spring so he'll put some up on eBay, 'cause I *gotta* have some of his plants. Oo, I wonder if he'll be in Sacramento next month?

Korina (bouncing in my chair!)

• sgmd
    18 years ago

Oh my goodness! I've just been bitten by the Senk bug! I've gotta get some of his plants! Does anyone know if there's a vendor who sells them?

thanks!
    shireen

• korina
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Shireen, the only way to get Senks is on Ebay. Or visit him, I suppose, but I don't live in SoCal anymore (I'm beginning to regret that decision...NOT).

Happy Monday! :-D

Korina

• sgmd
    18 years ago

Thanks, Korina. I've been growing AVs casually for the past 1.5 years, basically honing my skills with a few plants (ie. learning how not to kill them!). This spring, feeling more confident, I've been buying plants to start a serious collection, so I've been exposed to a lot of aspects of the AV cultivars (and the characters that come with them! LOL).

Thanks to you, and the link your provided, I saw David Senk's hybrids. My jaw hit the floor. WOW!!! Like you, I am totally in love with those amazing plants!!!!

Does he offer a lot of plants on ebay? Will there be major bidding wars everytime he sells? I am really surprised at how expensive some of these AVs can be. One plant went for more than $130 yesterday! I am afraid of what Senk's plants will do to my almost depleted AV budget, but ... oh my goodness! I just *LOVE* them!!!

Alchemy Gold is on ebay right now. I'm going to bid as much as I can afford. Oh I want it soooo bad ..... and that's just the first plant. LOL!

Good Monday to you too. :-)

cheers,
    shireen

• korina
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Shireen, I'm not sure how many will end up on eBay; I only recently became aware of Mr. Senk's work myself. The ones I've seen do seem to go for (relatively) big bucks, so I'm not holding my breath. Maybe I can buy some leaves from you when you get some. Heh.

Korina

• sgmd
    18 years ago

Korina, we should form a Senk groupie club, just like the groupies that rock stars have! We could be those screaming hysterical girls in front of the Senk plants. LOL!

Drop me a note at whimbrel at comcast dot net to give me your email address, and to discuss the leaves issue. :-)

cheers,
    shireen

• Motezuma
    18 years ago

Man, I love that springtime wasp... Wish I could get my hands on that one.

-Mo (WV)

• korina
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hmm. If we're gonna form a club, we have to have a cool name.

Senk's Sisters? Nah, too twisted.
    David's Darlings? Eww! Blech!
    The Unofficial David Senk Fan Club? (yaaaawn)
    The Sisterhood of the Wellspring of the Saintpaulia Revolution? *Hunh*??

Oh, damn these early mornings!

Korina (I really shouldn't post before noon.)

• Motezuma
    18 years ago

Korina,

Ha Ha Ha! I like it. But... don't you think the male fans will object to being in a "Sisterhood"?

Have another cup of joe!

-Mo (WV)

• korina
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Shireen, I thought you said we were groupies! If we're groupies and not just fans, then any guys who join will probably not mind being in a 'sisterhood'. ;-D

Korina (can I go home now?)

• sgmd
    18 years ago

> Shireen, I thought you said we were groupies!
    > If we're groupies and not just fans, then any guys
    > who join will probably not mind being in a 'sisterhood'. ;-D

LOL! You are just too funny! LOL! :-)

I was going to suggest "The Senkettes" but I don't think the guys would appreciate that either. Senklings? Senk-heads? Whacky Violet Freaks?

Oh the possibilities ..... :-)

• korina
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hmm. Senkites? Senkolinos? I kind of like your 'Senkheads', but 'Whacky Violet Freaks' has its charms... Maybe it should be an acronym that spells S.E.N.K. But I can't think of anything right now. Why do I insist on checking the forums first thing in the a.m.?

Korina (groggy)

• hannah_deirdre
    13 years ago

Hi!

Let me put up this topic :)

I can't see link to D. Senk interview! Could sombedy show me it? Please!? Or it isn't exist now?

I am really crazy about Senk's violets but to find some info about them - well, almost imposible!
    Found this page, look like has some news but no respond from web owner :(
    http://www.vintageviolets.org/David_Senk_African_Violets.htm

Do you know some contact with David Senk? Any HIS own web page? Some information about his plants?
    I collected quite large list with names and descriptions his violets:
    http://mortak.w.interia.pl/kwiaty/senks.html
    Anybody knows some more and knows how to get them?? Already have half of them, quite youngs, sure, and most of them still
    as leaves but want them ALL :DDDDDDDDDD

greetings
    Hannah

• juliebees2009
    13 years ago

still none on ebay i still waiting whew