Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nyxx_gw

So excited!

nyxx
12 years ago

I just ordered "Mac's Scorching Sun" I can't wait for it to get here. The contrast of the yellow in the leaves and the coral of the flowers will be a great addition to my violets. I can't wait till April gets here so it will ship. Does anyone have any of these? I would love to see a pic of more then one leaf and a flower.

Comments (6)

• terrilou
    12 years ago

I have a leaf of this one rooting now. I agree that it is a stunning looking plant!

• nyxx
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I am disappointed but still have high hopes. When the plant arrived the color was nothing at all like the picture. It came in bloom with about 7 leaves which aren't very yellow at all and the blooms aren't coral but more pink. I am hopeful that the colors will become more what I expected when the plant matures.(or am I dreaming and no chance of that happening?) Granted the colors of anything shown on the internet don't always show in life the same but the written description did say coral. This is my first internet purchase of AVs so not sure how close I can count on the color but keeping my fingers crossed. =o) Terrilou how much yellow is in your leaf?

• irina_co
    12 years ago

I found a pic that Jana in Indiana posted - it came from Raleigh - it Is how George MacDonald grows it himself.

I grow another crown variegated plant of his - Mac's Tiamat - and the center leaves have I would say a yellow tint.

The pure yellow leaf from Lyndon Lyon sales pic... I would say if mine would turn that yellow - i would be worried it would die...just no chlorophyll in it.

Usually the crown variegated plants look more contrasting in winter, so do not despair.

Here is a link that might be useful: the plant

• terrilou
    12 years ago

My leaf is green with rather bronzy/pinkish/tan edges or at least thats how it appears to me. It will be interesting to see what colors the young plants display. Variegation can be fickle & surely light and temperature play a part. As Irene says, don't despair.

Terri

• nyxx
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yeah I wasn't expecting the leaves to be completely yellow as what they have pictured on their site, just more yellow then what they are at the moment. I am wondering now looking at the picture you linked if maybe the reason the blooms looked more coral is due to the contrast of the bright yellow leaf. It does look more like the linked picture, which by any definition a beautiful plant. Now I just have to be patient and see what it looks like all grown up. I checked out a pic of "Mac's Tiamat" it too is absolutely beautiful. I can see I'll have to get one of those too. =o) I thought when hubby got me the Hanging window plant shelves I was set for awhile as far as room for my plants went but apparently not. Guess I have to send him back to amazon sooner then he thought. lol

• irina_co
    12 years ago

Mac's Tiamat is very unusual - it has Clackamas leaves - when all major veins originate in one point at the bottom of the leaf. And it has great hot pink s/double butterfly looking flowers - medium size. But - it is very slow growing for me and the crown looks bunched like a celery. Need to try it on higher light - but there is an old variety "Celery" that grows just like that, so it can be it.

For me it is an interesting conversation piece. Very unusual. But - really it is SLOW.

Irina

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting