Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sabrebuddy

reotting a big baby!

sabrebuddy
15 years ago

Hi everyone, I have a baby I started from a leaf it is in a two inch pot and it is wick watered,the baby is Tomahawk and it measures six and a half inches across,the roots are starting to come threw the holes in the bottom of the pot.My guestion is when and if I should repot now and in what size pot should I use. I should tell you also it is flowering for the first time. I am a little nervous about repotting this one as it is my first baby. Thanks for any help -Terri

Comments (9)

• fred_hill
    15 years ago

Terri,
    Therule of thumb for potting is to put the plant in a pot that is 1/3 the diameter of the crown. In your case, I would put the plant in a 3 inch pot.
    Fred in NJ

• sabrebuddy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Fred, Thanks for the information but should I repot with it flowering like I said this is it's first flowering -Thanks Terri

• nwgatreasures
    15 years ago

Seems you have two options available to you:

1) repot now by removing the blooms and outer leaves and go with a pot 1/3 the width of what you have left after you remove any outer leave.

or

2) wait till the blooms dry up and then do #1.

You remove the blooms with #1 because when you groom/repot, you want the energy of the plant to be totally focused on the root system and crown of the plant, not supplying blooms.

If you wait weeks for the blooms to dry up, then you are postponing what the root system is indicating that it needed long ago. A healthy plant will bloom again over and over but one that is not cared for and whose root system is outside of the pot (because of postponing repotting) is just not realizing the maximum benefit and health and visual.

Dora

• fred_hill
    15 years ago

HI,
    If it were me I would repot it now and remove all the blooms, get rid of the secondary leaves, if any, and pot it up into a 3 inch pot. I have on occassion left the bloom on a plant that I was repotting but as Dora explained it saps the strength from the plant making it harder for the plant to grow larger. If you want to see the bloom, you could leave one bloomstalk on the plant while it's growing larger.
    Fred in NJ

• sabrebuddy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Fred and Dora, could either of you tell me just how big Tomahawk gets? The reason I am a little on the nervous side is that I killed the mom plant and was very lucky to save a leaf off of her before she passed. The baby also has a sibling which is only four inches,the six inch is wicked and the four isn't could this make a difference in their growth? -Thanks Terri

• nwgatreasures
    15 years ago

Yes, it could make a difference.
    Since you are living on borrowed time (so to speak), I would be doing everything I could to ensure the health and wellbeing of those leaves.

I have a Tomohawk and while the blooms are absolutely breathtakingly beautiful, I would be willing to forgo being pleasured by the blooms if I knew it would mean I was helping the health of the plant. Being deprived of seeing the blooms is temporary when compared to the matter of the plant being in optimum health and when it does bloom again, those blooms will be more grand because they are supported by a healthy plant.

Take a picture of the plant and then get those blooms and secondary leaves off. If you were able to share a picture of the plant with us, we could help guide you on which to remove and how to go forward. We'd love nothing more than to help you save this valuable baby and help it thrive beyond your wildest visual dreams.

Dora

And yes, I do believe that wicking vs top watering makes a difference in teh growth of the plant because you are getting a "constant" feed of water and nutritional elements for the root system and plant versus when you can remember to do it (even if it is consistent in your mind)

• sabrebuddy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

{{gwi:362188}}

{{gwi:362191}}

Hi Dora,
    Here are the pictures of Tomahawk, tell me what you think I should do?!
    Thanks
    Terri

• fred_hill
    15 years ago

Terri,
    Take the bull by the horns, remove the secondary leaves and all but one bloomstalk and put it into the next size pot.
    Fred in NJ

• sabrebuddy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Fred, well I took the bull by the horns as you said and did the deed. He actually lots good in his new home,I will post a picture of him tomorrow. Thanks for all your help Fred- Terri