Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
judy5350

Violet not growing

judy5350
12 years ago

I have a yellow hybrid violet. I have had it for almost a year and it has never grown from the 2" pot it was in when I bought it from Violet Barn. I have done everything possible: new soil, proper light, proper water, proper fertilizer, etc. My other violets I bought from the internet site are doing well. Please help me.

Thanks!

Comments (4)

• irina_co
    12 years ago

Judy -

inspect it - if it has any persistent damage on the leaves - spots, mottling etc. If it has - chuck it - it can be virus. It takes one thrips bite - and the thrips could come from your own window...

There is another thing you can do - put it under the cover - dome, plastic baggie - just make sure it is not under direct sunlight- it is like a spa for them violets.

If you think it is otherwise healthy - put the leaf down, take the top of the crown off - and reroot it. If it still is not doing anything - chuck it.

If you can make a pic or 2 - post them here - (less than 60kb) - probably the forum members will see something you missed.

Good Luck

irina

• stonesriver
    12 years ago

Hi, Judy:

Do you mean no new growth or not getting bigger? Is it a standard, mini or semi-mini? Is it otherwise normal and healthy? If it's a mini then it won't outgrow a 2" pot (maybe not even if it's a semi-mini).

I see from your profile you are new to Garden Web so "Welcome" to our group. Are you also new to violets? You'll find lots of good people here. One thing to remember: You can never give TMI when asking for advice. :-)

Linda

• judy5350
    Original Author
    12 years ago

How do I post a picture of my sad plant? It's not a mini and is otherwise healthy except the leaves tend to droop. It just won't grow any bigger.

I'm new to this forum but have been growing violets for years.
    Thanks!

• tnferguson
    12 years ago

Judy,

My Rob's Whiz Bang was like that. It's leaves drooped; It wouldn't bloom. It started to grow a little after I repotted it, but it still was not nearly as vigorous as some of the other plants that I got at the same time. I was about to repot it again (it had been about 3 months since the previous repotting) when it started to take off. It grew some great foliage and set up a really nice bloom cycle. I put down a couple of leaves and a sucker that I removed the first time I repotted. These have grown much faster for me than the original plant. I suspect this plant in particular is just taking a while to get used to my soil mix and growing conditions.

How long has it been since you repotted? if it's been more than a couple of months, you could take a couple of leaves to put down, then repot the original and give it the spa treatment that Irina suggested...

To post a picture you will need to upload it to a photo hosting site (such as photobucket). From there, you will copy the Link URL and paste it where it says "Optional link URL" on a reply to this thread.

-Tim

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting