Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sonority

Problem Identification

sonority
13 years ago

Greetings from a lurker,

I have a NOID that my friend bought me as a gift. It wasn't the healthiest plant when I got it, but I want to save it, or at least some of it, for sentimental reasons.

I've had this plant for a little over a month now, and the older leaves continually develop necrotic brown spots on the leaves. It is in the same conditions as my other violets, which do not have this problem. (Although it is the only variegated one.)

So far I've been unsuccessful in rooting any leaves from it, they too develop these spots, and I find that they simply rot instead of rooting.

Any suggestions/tips?

{{gwi:362231}}

{{gwi:362232}}

Comments (8)

• itsdeb
    13 years ago

Could this be water damage? Could you be splashing water on the leaves when watering? Are you keeping the plant domed? It looks pretty small. Are you sure you're not overwatering it? Good luck. It looks like a pretty one!

• quimoi
    13 years ago

The leaves don't have enough green to root and that's also at least one of the problems.

Some possible issues could be the light level: How high is it? What plant food do you use? Although it should be balanced, i.e., 20-20-20, be cautious with an ailing plant. The soil should be well drained.

The spots could also be burns from too much light.

Perhaps someone will chime in with some ideas to save it, but you will need to "green it up" first. It wouldn't lose the variegation, but it needs more green to be a healthy plant. I hope you can save it. Maybe I've mentioned something you should stop until someone gives a more constructive plan :).

Diana

• irina_co
    13 years ago

S. -

Did you repot it in your soil- or it is still in in the soil it came in? I side with the previous advisers - you need to build it up a bit - make sure that it is in a good soil, has enough of water but nottoo muich - and I would put it under some kind of dome - angel cake container - make sure that it is not too wet - and went the lid if you see the drops collecting - so the damaged tissue won't rot. I would use a very weak fish emulsion solution for greening it up.

Scentimental reasons - it is all fine - unless it is some kind of infection. For whatever reason the plant is not happy - it can be physical damage - or it can have root mealy bugs - hard to tell from a distance. So - keep it in a separate room. At some point you need to decide - is it recovering - or it is time to let it go.

Good Luck
    Irina

• sonority
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I posted a followup and it didn't post! Poo!

I repotted it about a week ago. I used a store bought soil and mixed it 1:1 with perlite.

It's currently under it's own growlight:
    http://www.amazon.com/Glentronics-PL-1-Intelligent-Plant-Light/dp/B0007CXXB4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1300145501&sr=8-1

Which isn't a massive amount of light, but my other AV's don't seem to mind it. I have a new light coming for my seedlings this week so I can put this little guy over there when it comes. (I make do with what little space I have!)

I finally managed to get two of its leaves to start rooting, so hopefully at least one of those will be able to start me a new plant!

• irina_co
    13 years ago

Scentimental... I am still under the influence of Sinningia 'Scentsational Pepperpot' - this florist gloxinia bloomed beautifully for me - but as soon as I brought to the Show - it turned into a wetrag...

Anyway - I think you will be able to baby this thing back. I was thinking bacterial rot - but tissue becomes transparent and it usually attacks in a heat of the summer. I had similar spots on variegated leaves when they changed chlorine to chloramine in our water supply at my workplace. When I got it home - the new leaves came up normal. So if it is connected with some ingredient in the soil that was used before - you can always leach it with lukewarm distilled water - with several drops of fish emulsion added.

Irina

• sonority
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks the tips, I'll give it a shot :D

• sonority
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It started dying back hard. Going limp like you see with a rot, and something else I noticed - the leaf stalks are spitting. The new growth is turning brown as well.

• irina_co
    13 years ago

Sonority -

I think that's enough. Throw the sick thing away and if you want to save the pot - soak it in Clorax. You do not want this rot to move on the rest of your plants.

Get yourself a healthy variegated starter - to honor your friend who gave you the original one. Looking at the shade of variegation I would think that it had dark blossoms - purple or red.

Good Luck

irina

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!