Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crystalcreek_gw

Suggestions for Office lighting a few plants

crystalcreek
12 years ago

I would appreciate any suggestions for possible lighting solutions for 3-4 plants on top of my filing cabinet at work. I have a timer I can plug any fixture into. Any ideas would be helpful; it can't be a huge. Consider the lighting available in the office zero to none, as it is on a motion sensor and too dim anyway. Thanks for input.

Comments (7)

• irina_co
    12 years ago

24 inch fluorescent fixture hanging from the ceiling on the chains.
    If you have the drop ceiling like I do in my office - they cell special hooks in HD to attach to the support grate - you can get the chains in HD - same garden dept - and hang your fixture like a hanging pot 15" above the cabinet.

good luck

Irina

• crystalcreek
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That's a great idea, but not practical for my situation for many reasons. I had something like a desk lamp-type fixture in mind. Maybe flourescent, maybe using the 60watt grow bulbs--I'm assuming this kind would generate a lot of heat? Don't know what the ideal spacing above the plant would be for the 60watt grow bulb, either. Maybe someone could tell me. Any other ideas anyone? Haven't had violets in probably 20 years and just ordered Cranberry Crush, Powder Keg, Lilac Fanfare from LL. I used Tinari all those years ago, but I see times have changed. Very pleased with my LL shipment. Decent sized plants, healthy, blooming. Only a couple of broken leaves on one but the packing was great and fast shipment from them.

• tnferguson
    12 years ago

I'm fortunate to have desk space available for a small plant stand to grow AVs at my office. The stand is a 24 inch wide wire shelf available at many home improvement centers. The light is a 2 tube T-5 fixture with 14W tubes that runs for 9 hours/day on a timer. Do you have space for something similar? I've really enjoyed having some of my AVs at work and I have coworkers that stop by once or twice a week to "check on the plants"

Here's a link to a couple of pictures of my workplace violets -

Here is a link that might be useful: Workplace Plants

• aegis1000
    12 years ago

Crystalcreek,

I use normal desk-lamp fixtures with the new CFL fluorecents for my violets. I use the "daylight" type of CFL which can be found in your typical Box store (LOWES, Home Depot).

I've used them for years now, and my violets thrive under them. I generally light 6-12 plants with a lamp, but I grow next to east facing windows also.

For medium sized plants, with no other real light available, I can probably light 3-4 plants with one lamp.

• crystalcreek
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes I was thinking of purchasing something like that. The one I'm looking at uses one 13 watt full spectrum bulb....will that work? How high will it need to be placed from the plants?

Here is a link that might be useful: Catalina desk lamp

• irina_co
    12 years ago

I like Aegis' idea much better than Catalina lamp or CFL from big box store. Tnferguson uses this CFL as a supplemental light to ambient light - and it makes it perfect. If you do not have decent light in you office - the amount of plants you can put under the lamp with CFL equals 1 (one). And it should be close enough to the plant - which is probably plenty for the office. In good conditions Powder Keg grows LARGE. Have no idea regarding Catalina light source - but 13 wt would not create enough light for many. You probably can park 3-4 semi minis or miniatures under it - but standards if more than one - probably will start stretching and turning their heads towards the light.

I.

• irina_co
    12 years ago

I am sorry guys- I got confused- Monday, you know - Aegis from Indiana has CFL - and good ambient light, and Tferguson advises "Workplace Plants" arrangement - which should be perfect for CrystalCreek with not enough ambient light in the office.

I hope now I am on a track...senior moments galore...

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor