Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paul__gw

Miniature species?

paul_
11 years ago

Greetings all! Been a long time since I was last here.

A few questions for the "hive mind" ...
I'm interested in obtaining some species miniatures either as leaves or plants (the more mini the better) to use in my terraria. They would have to handle intermediate to warm growing conditions.With that in mind:
1) Which species would you recommend?
2) Which would I be best to avoid?
3) Which would be the best and most economical sources?

Plant trades would be my most prefered method -- though I currently have little in the way of av's, I have quite a plethora of other plants (orchids, cacti/succulents, etc).

Thanks for any aid.

Comments (10)

• perle_de_or
    11 years ago

Miniatures are harder for me. However, Rob's Kaleidescope, Precious Red, and Peppermint Girl seem to be very strong plants and doing well. I haven't grown any in a terrarium, but I have put some in their pots down in some glass bowls and covered them. Not in terrarium soil directly though.

• irina_co
    11 years ago

Paul - look what they have on the Violet Gallery site.

IMHO - terrarium usually has 100% humidity - and Saintpaulias like it someway less - so you will have the problem with Powdery Mildew, Botrytis - mostly affecting blossoms.

I am thinking that there are other miniature gesneriads that will benefit from terrarium conditions - Episcia "Silver Sky" is a true mini - and variegated Episcias - even they are not minis - they are so slow growing and attractive - they will be a plus - Pink Smoke, Unpredictable Valley etc. Miniature Gesnerias - will be happy and continue blooming all the time with bright orange flowers - Gesneria cunefolia is very easy and it stays compact. Nautilocalyx pemphidius is small and very interesting with these bullate leaves. Violetbarn.com is a good source for terrariums - with mini gessies and other mini plants appropriate for terrarium.

Good Luck and send us some pics.

I.

Here is a link that might be useful: Violet Gallery

• paul_
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the tips folks though it appears there isn't much in the way of mini species as opposed to hybrids available then? Not terribly interested in hybrids currently.

Irina, I've had various Saintpaulia in terrs for years without any issues -- and they bloom just fine. Fact is, I have difficulty keeping AVs alive and happy UNLESS I grow them in terraria. (My orchids in contrast are sooo much easier than AVs for me.)

That said, my terrs rarely have 100% humidity ... it can actually be a lot harder to maintain that kind of RH than one might think. RH in my terrs tends to be around 60-70% much of the time.

Keep the suggestions coming!

• irina_co
    11 years ago

Paul - did you look at the link at the Violet Gallery I posted - it is all about species.

Irina

• paul_
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yep. I sure did, Irina. Thank you for that.

However, based on that list, there aren't many mini AV species. I did find it interesting that two of them look very much like Rob's Blue Twinkle. I wonder which one (or if both) were used to make that hybrid?

• perle_de_or
    11 years ago

Sorry, Paul, I completely overlooked that you meant Species!

• irina_co
    11 years ago

Paul-

Which species do you think look the closest?

I doubt Rob used species for producing Rob's Twinkle Blue. It is a micromini - and I do not think there are micromini species. But you can call him during work hours and talk to him. they have phone listed.

irina

• robitaillenancy1
    11 years ago

There are no Species miniature AVs. Minis and semis were developed by hybridizers using species schumensis or magamensis with other plants. These developed into our hybrid miniatures and semi miniatures.

You could look for Saintpaulia schumensis or Saintpaulia Magamensis.

Our hybrid minis and semis also have trailer species in their bloodline which is the reason they make so many suckers.

Nancy

• irina_co
    11 years ago

I grow S, shumensis and the shape of the leaves is different and color is too off if you compare is with a Twinkle.. I would say it is a mini or s-m in hybridizers nomenclature- depends how well you feed it.

I.

• paul_
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No species miniatures, Nancy? Bummer.

Irina, I think it was the Saintpaulia magungensis var. minima & S, shumensis -- but not seeing the entire plant I had not noticed the leaves.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz