Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
colo5b

sporting and chimeras

Colo5B
13 years ago

Hello! I'm new here.

I have a 10+ year old standard grocery store NOID with lovely, large, purple pansy blooms. After repotting a couple of months ago, it bloomed its head off.

On the last two bloom stalks, each had two of the usual blooms and one much smaller chimera-looking pink flower with purple stripe. Oddly, these mutant flowers had no stamens! (Is that common?)

Then the plant rested for a while.

It is budded now with more buds than I've ever seen (oooh, anticipation!) I see some purple and some smaller/pink, so safe to say it'll be a mixture of blooms this time.

Is it correct to say that the plant is "sporting" or that it's "mutating" or that it's "becoming a chimera"?

I want a "copy" of the original plant. If I root some leaves, is that what I'm likely to get? It was probably a grocery-store Optimara, but it's so old, I've forgotten.

--Jaye

Comments (7)

• quimoi
    13 years ago

Root some leaves, save the plantlets and see what you get. There's a fair chance you can get the original back.

I'll let somebody else field the chimera/sport/mutating question.

They do some strange things, don't they? I presume there's a reason for it in their background.

Diana

• Christine
    13 years ago

I've heard that you have better luck saving the original look if you select leaves to root from around the normal flowers or an older one that grew before the plant changed.

Since chimeras are so desirable, if you like the look of your striped blooms you could try bloomstock propagation to get an all-chimera plant. That way if your plant goes back to its original appearance you'd still have its chimera sport.

• quimoi
    13 years ago

I would have done what Donna recommends with the leaves because it seems sensible to me :). (I have managed to retrieve the original plant from one that mutated or whatever...)

Diana

• Colo5B
    Original Author
    13 years ago

So I take it this isn't an exact science; I might get the original or I might get the weird stamenless chimera-looking freak? (or maybe something else, who knows..)

I will take some leaves, but I already have soooo many leaves rooting. If they all grow babies, I'll have to surrender the house to violets.

• irina_co
    13 years ago

If you take a leaf from the bottom - you probably get your original back.

If you put down several leaves and grow all the babies - you will be in a a doghouse - because the house would be too full of violets.

Just keep 2-3 babies from each variety, toss the rest of the babies - or give them to the friends who want to try. Out of 2-3 you have - select the one you like the best - and give the rest to friends and family as gifts. This way - you are not swamped with 30 plants of the same variety.

I am sure it will be interesting to experiment with your oddity. I grew a chimera without anthers - it is registered clone of species violet - and it was looking rather strange.

irina

• quimoi
    13 years ago

If you don't want to set leaves, you don't have to :).

Years ago, I only kept one plantlet when I set a leaf. I don't recall that I ever had anything change. Now things are different and I will keep 2 or 3 plantlets until I see that I have a true plant.

Sometimes a favorite plant isn't as easy to replace as one thinks it will be. I haven't quite found the solution to that problem yet since 2 Feathers and 2 Optimara Texases (?) are not small plants, lol. (Texas is not a word one generally pluralizes.)

Diana

• irina_co
    13 years ago

I just sold my Feather on our Show and Sale yesterday. Made it sure that I have mouse ears sticking from the leaf pot - and got rid of the Big Mama.

I.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH