Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
large growing violets!

Posted by sabrebuddy new york (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 16, 09 at 17:59

Hi everyone,How do you get the large standards to reach their size, I have been seeing pictures of some of my large standards and to be honest they are not the size I think they should be.-Thanks Terri

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: large growing violets!

Hi, Terri,

Large standards are grown in optimum conditions; water, fertilizer, temperature, and lights all play a part. I would suggest you get a copy of Growing to Show or YOU CAN Grow African Violets. They are available through AVSA, or at your local library if you are really lucky.

Barbara

o

Terri,
One of the things that growers of large plants do is to repot frequently. I feel the best thing you can do to grow large plants is consistency. Keep the plants on a schedule and don't vary from it.
Fred in NJ

o

A member in my local AV chapter grows some huge AVs, and I recently saw a picture of him holding one that was about 37 inches. You would have to see this to believe it.

He seems to think that once he gets a violet in the 20-22 inch range that foliar feeding with a fine mist of 1/16 teaspoon of fertilizer to a gallon of water on the outer leaves of the plants help to keep them healthy and rejuvinated, and this helps him to grow these huge monsters. He also starts with plants that will naturally grow large, such as Tiger. He cautions against foliar feeding the center of the plant since this may cause problems.

Curtis

o

Hi Curtis, I do love to see a large violet at it's best, I love african violets and have grown them in my home for about thirty years. Just about the last couple of years I have met these huge plants so I have ordered the violets that say large grower, I love the leaves of the african violet some of them are so pretty and when they get their flowers they are amazing to look at. I think I will need some kind of schdule or routine to follow to make this art of growing large workout for me._Terri

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here