Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
m3rma1d

12 days to make this into a showplant... Can I pull it off?

m3rma1d
14 years ago

The Central Jersey club is having our show on the 26th & 27th of March, and apparently it's gonna be "slim pickings" this year, I got word that they're REALLY hoping people will bring stuff to show...

So tonite I was looking on my stand to see if there was anything worth bringing, and I had a Little Blue Bandit that it blooming it's fool head off.

Only problem was, it was a bit of a two-headed monster.

BUT--The mass of blooms was only on one crown.

So I cut off the boring plain crown and now I have a crown with a HUGE mass of blooms, but some of the leaves on one side are a tad distorted since it had that Siamese twin thing going on.

If I let it dry a little for a day or 2 so the leaves become a bit flexible, can I pin them and get them to "train" by March 25th? Or am I cutting it too short now? It's only 12 days away...

Who knows if I can pull it off?

Here's a pic so you can see what I'm talking about...

{{gwi:362485}}
(In case the pic doesn't post, Click here)

P.S.--Those little white dots on some of the leaf edges--They're sorta crusty, like maybe fert buildup or something? Can I get those off easily?

HELP!!!!!!!!! :-D

Comments (21)

• m3rma1d
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ok, I got some advice from Andrea Worrell about getting the spots off and it worked like a charm, so that part is now taken care of! Now to just hope I can make it into a better "rosette" shape....

• minimac
    14 years ago

That's a cute little guy! You might as well go for it. Is it a mini? Not familiar with it. Are those bell flowers? Pinning it - couldn't hurt and may work out. You might be able to pull the blossoms up towards the crown, perhaps that would disguise some of the separation between the leaves. If you don't mind sharing what advice did you get to remove the white spots on edges of leaves? Vinegar and water???

Wish you the Best of Luck.

Mac (sometimes just plain old spit works)

• m3rma1d
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yup it's a mini

Little Blue Bandit (Sorano) Single-semidouble dark blue star/slightly cupped. Dark green, heart-shaped/red back. Miniature (User Database)

• fred_hill
    14 years ago

Hey Mermie,
    Give it a shot what have you got to lose.
    Fred in nj

• m3rma1d
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Update: I haven't pinned the leaves at all, but already the one up at the top that was twisted is laying flat.
    I may just have a shot at a showplant here!!

• m3rma1d
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Update again: The one at the top that's twisted is NOT straitened out like I'd thought, I was just looking at the wrong leaf that day hahaha :-p

Here's a pic of the "progress"...
    {{gwi:362488}}
    (Click here if the pic doesn't load)
    I got the little white spots off the leaves, and have the toothpicks in there hoping to get the leaves to move at least a little bit in the right direction. I've also gently pulled the flower stems up through the leaves, or at least as much as I felt comfortable doing--MAN that is HARD!! I turned almost the same color as the blossoms, from holding my breath!!
    The leaves aren't awesome, but hopefully a lotta those buds will open and distract from that fact. :-D

Here's another pic, showing the pot I put it in..
    {{gwi:362490}}
    (Click here if the pic doesn't load)
    Over-potted, right? :-(
    It was the smallest pot I could find (2 & 1/4)
    Lenny has a smaller pot I can re-pot it into when I get down there, but it's terra-cotta colored (yuck!)
    But oh well, gotta do it.
    I'm very nervous about taking this thing on the bus for a 9 hour trip!
    And re-potting the nite before entries!!
    ::biting nails::

• fred_hill
    14 years ago

Mermie,
    Get a solo cup and put it in that.
    Fred in NJ

• m3rma1d
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Fred--Now I've talked to a couple judges and they said since it's 2 & 1/4 I am ok, but anything over that and I'd be toast. I'd rather it was in a pot than a cup... But will I get in trouble? I shouldn't right? I dunno....

• bspofford
    14 years ago

Are you still in town? I should have a smaller white or green pot.....

Barbara

• m3rma1d
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yep I am here... I found out that this pot is within the rules, but I'd like to hang out with you anyway!

• contrarymarypat
    14 years ago

I think it's very pretty. I have never entered one, but I would hope the judges would overlook mini flaws when it is so covered with blooms. How nice that you live close enough to Barbara that you can visit in person!

Mary

• bunnygurl
    14 years ago

I think it looks great, but then again I'm no professional.

I only have 3 AVs and heaven knows they not at all show quality, but I think they're pretty just the way they are.

Good luck out there!

• m3rma1d
    Original Author
    14 years ago

:-)

{{gwi:362493}}

YAY!

• contrarymarypat
    14 years ago

Awesome. Congrats!!!!!

• larry_b
    14 years ago

Good going!

Larry

• raven_ladybug
    14 years ago

Whoot! Congratulations!!!

• snappyguy
    14 years ago

Congratulations!

• minimac
    14 years ago

!!!!WANTED ALIVE!!!!

Little Blue Bandit, who stole the N.J. Show, with his accomplice, and brains of the heist, Annie M.

Good Growing M3!

Mac

• bunnygurl
    14 years ago

Oh wow! Look at that! Look at you go! That is so wonderful! Congratulations to you and your lil' Blue Bandit!

• m3rma1d
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone!

If it's still looking good in a week, it's gonna be entered in Raleigh, NC at AVSA National Convention.

:-)

• fred_hill
    14 years ago

Hey Mermie,
    Good luck with it at convention. Enjoy yourself down there. I wish I were going but I am saving my bucks for next year when the show will be in my neck of the woods.
    Fred in NJ

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living