Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kiddyplanter

Growing Fuller, Larger African Violets?

KiddyPlanter
11 years ago

Hi all, I have a noid AV (my first ever AV!=D) that I picked up from the clearance section of Home Depot last summer (it was flowerless and very sad looking...=( and a lucky dip cause I didn't know what blooms it would have!). At first it was looking so pathetic, but this year, it started producing flower stalks like crazy (it has had at least 10), and has been in constant bloom with pretty pink single pansies! (Probably boring flowers to you guys with really fancy blooming plants, but hey, it's my first ever AV and I love it lots!=P) However, the leaf growth has been quite sad really, so I started reading up a bit about growing to show, to get larger plants. I read about disbudding to allow for energy to be invested in foliage growth, so I did that (though it broke my heart a little... And I just had to put the cut flowers in a vase!=P). However, I read something about choosing full plants that don't show soil when choosing plants for show... Does this mean that genetics will prevent my little noid from growing into a full, leafy plant? Are there any special tricks to help my little one grow big and with full foliage?

P.S: I recently repotted it too!=)

Comments (12)

• variegatednancy1
    11 years ago

Genetics will determine just how large the plant can grow. If it's an Optimara, it often can grow 12-16 very easily. People in my club grow some of them to 22 inches.

But it's not the circumphrence of the plant but rather the condition of the leaves, the cleanliness, the perfection of how the leaves place themselves. That's why we buy plants we know like Optimara Ontario whose simple white flower does nothing for itself, but grown to 20 inches or more with a large head of flowers and perfection of placement of leaves always wins a blue ribbon and more.

When talking about plants that don't show soil, do you mean bits of soil on the plants that can be brushed off? Or soil between leaves because the leaves are spread too far apart?

Nancy

• KiddyPlanter
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Nancy! Thanks for your response!=) I brush my leaves from time to time, and try to rotate it to even out the growth (cause I only have a windowsill for it). By showing soil, I meant the leaves being too spread out. Silly me for not making it clearer!=P Also, mine is not an Optimara. The label had said it was grown by Rainbow Greenhouses.=)

I'm just a home-grower, and have no plans on actually growing to show, but I do want to learn how to grow my AV as best I can!=)

• KiddyPlanter
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hmm... I've been scrounging around for more info, and it seems to be that elongated petioles are a sign of insufficient light. The only problem is people saying another symptom is no flowering, and mine had been blooming profusely (before I disbudded it), and was even still sending up new flower stalks (had 9 stalks on it at the time)...=/ Do AVs still bloom with insufficient light? (like out of stress maybe?) Is it just genetics? Or are there other reasons for long petioles?=0

• KiddyPlanter
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Okay! Dr. Optimara says it could also be that the pot is too small (I don't think this is the case as mine is more than 1/3 the leaf diameter... More like 1/2...=P), or it could be too warm. I think the warmth seems the most likely as I have a bedroom with a south-facing window, and with all my plants inside, it can get kind of warm...=X So I guess for now I'll try airing out my room more to cool it down!=)

• aegis1000
    11 years ago

KiddyPlanter ...

You could just have a plant that grows with wide spacing between the leaves.

OTOH, the spacing could be because the plant is spending its energy/resources on blooming, rather than on growing leaves.

My AV's generally bloom in cycles. So they'll bloom for awhile, ... then they'll spend some time growing. Many time, after blooming, the plant will look a bit peaked, like it's a little worn out.

But, give it some time, and the plant will grow and rebound, before it's ready to bloom again.

Also, be sure to be giving your violet some type of AV fertilizer, as it takes a lot of energy to bloom and grow.

• perle_de_or
    11 years ago

Any of my plants that have had less than desirable looking leaves usually outgrow this. The newer leaves are always much prettier than the original ones. So this might get better for you. Rotating is a must for even growth. I wish I could see a picture of it, your description of all the blooms is pretty cool. I would have thought it was not enough light too, but then again with all the blooms I don't know if that is the cause.

• KiddyPlanter
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the input everyone!=D

aegis500: I was wondering if it was just meant to grow like that. It's fine for me if it does, cause it's still cute in it's own way to me!=) I'll just let it grow out for now, cause it does have many old leaves left, and the new ones have been crowded out by the flower stalks!

Perle_de_Or: I wish I had thought of taking a proper picture of it in full full bloom!=0 Somehow I went ahead and disbudded before doing it!=( *kicks herself* Though I do have pictures of non-full full bloom, and one of it hidden behind my spring onions in full bloom (not a good picture or angle, but you might see it if you squint hard!=P). I also took a picture of it now!=) Hope you guys don't get too disappointed by the photos though!=X

Preparing to bloom:
    {{gwi:362537}}

Blooms beginning to fill in:
    {{gwi:362538}}

Really hidden full blooming at a bad bad angle (sorry if you can't see it guys!=():
    {{gwi:362539}}

Disbudded (hopefully it's healthy enough?=/):
    {{gwi:362541}}

P.S: It's always had the old curly leaves since I got it, and the new leaves curl at the edges too... Do some plants just do that? Or could it be a pest or disease? I've always wondered that, but the flowers were perfectly fine, nor did I see any spilled pollen, so I've just been leaving it alone...=0 I do hope there's nothing seriously wrong with it though...=( But if there is, hopefully someone can help me identify it!=)

• irina_co
    11 years ago

Looks like a Violet Bug bit you bad.

Even if you are not going to show your plant any time soon - get the book - it is really a recipe how to grow them to the top of the potential,.

IMHO there is nothing wrong with your plant. it is growing really well for windowsill - where the humidity is not 50 % so the leaves curl down a bit.

The show winners are grown in a controlled environment - fluorescent lights, wicks, fertilizers on a schedule, even adding Co2 to the air. So if you want to try to grow really nice ones - you need to get the book, read it - and get some inexpensive props so to say.

The book is very interesting, You can probably find it cheaper on Amazon.

Irina

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing to Show book

• KiddyPlanter
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Haha! I know! AVs are so addictive Irina! Which is kinda bad, cause my mom (the only other person in the house that enjoys gardening) says my room has too many plants already!=P

But anyways, thanks a lot for the advice!=D I will consider getting the book, especially after hearing so many people say how awesome it is! Though I probably won't be growing for show anytime soon, cause I'm still a student, and only have my small bedroom with one window to grow in!=X So for now I'll be growing as well as I can manage with my constraints.

And also thanks for putting me at ease about my plant not seeming to have any obvious big problems so far!=D I was really happy to hear that, and it really made my day!>_I guess because it's my first ever AV, I want it to stay with me for a long long time, even if it's not too impressive a specimen. Plus (cause I'm just that bias!=P) I find it such a cutie with it's light pink flowers and dark green leaves!XP So I'll just continue along with my care, and hope the disbudding will give it a break, and allow it to grow out healthier leaves!=)

Thanks again for all the advice everyone!=D

• ProfSprout
    11 years ago

Welcome on the bandwagon, KiddyPlanter!

Usually a fertilizer with a bigger first number will help with foliage growth. Say, 14-12-14 on the label corresponds with nitrogen-phosphate-potash. Bigger first# = leaf growth; bigger middle# = bloom and root growth. I've heard of forum users who rotate among fertilizers so their violets get the best of both worlds.

Sprout

• irina_co
    11 years ago

KiddyPlanter - you do not need many more violets to grow show quality plant. You just need to figure out how to treat this one right ;-)).

Irina

• KiddyPlanter
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks a lot for the welcome and advice Sprout!=)

And thanks again Irina!=D Though it always is tempting when walking around in stores!=P But hopefully this little one will stay happy in my house for a long time to come!=)

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor