Middle of my plants are all curled in on themselves

softballmom
15 years ago

Does anyone know what is causing this?

Comments (11)

• fred_hill
    15 years ago

HI SBM,
    It could be a few things from mites to over fertilization and having your plants too close to the lights. I would start by taking the plant or plants to the sink and running water through the mix. Do it a few times over 3 or 4 hours. Hopefully it will clear up. if your plants are too close to the lights and/or are getting too much light this could also be the problem. I would try these two before looking for mites unless the centers turn greyish and get very hairy.
    Good luck,
    Fred in NJ

• nwgatreasures
    15 years ago

(learning here)
    @ Fred in NJ

What does running the water through the mix accomplish?

Dora

• ima_digger
    15 years ago

I would think it flushes out the fertilizer in the potting mix. I water every 4th time with plain water. My fert. is 1/4 teasp. to gal. of water.

• fred_hill
    15 years ago

Thats correct, it flushes out the fertilizers that have built up.
    Fred in NJ

• nwgatreasures
    15 years ago

That's what I thought (flushing) but wanted to be sure.

Dora

• nwgatreasures
    15 years ago

@softballmom

What do the outer leaves look like? Are they wilted/pale/poor looking?

Scrunched up and discolored could be BBB.

Dora

• quinnfyre
    15 years ago

Ok, can't figure out what it is, could be my brain being slow, but what is BBB?

Thanks!

• nwgatreasures
    15 years ago

My apologies for not being more user friendly with the abbreviations.

BBB is Boytritis Blossom Blight = BAD NEWS!!

Here is a link that might be useful: BBB

• softballmom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

This is what it looks like.

• nwgatreasures
    15 years ago

Then you can trash the plant/soil and take the pot and soak it for a few days in a bleach/water solution and start over

-or-

you could treat the BBB with some Phyton 27 and see if you can save what you have and prevent it from spreading.

I adopted a castaway at our AV meeting 2 months ago. I knew it had BBB upon looking at it. One of the visitors brought it in for diagnosis/help. When he found out what was up, he didn't want it anymore. It is a Tomohawk standard and I had been looking for one so I brought it home and doctored on it.

This past week upon returning home from being gone 15 days, I noticed that all the new growth is perfect and once I get another round coming from the crown, I'm going to remove the outer leaves. Everyone present at the meeting saw the plant and the condition that it was in, I took a picture of it when I got it and it can be a great learning tool for members of our study group.

If you want to save the plant (or others that may be infected) then you can do it if it's not too far gone.

Good Luck,
    Dora

Here is a link that might be useful: Phyton 27

• curtis0353
    15 years ago

BBB causes the middle of the plants to curl in on themselves? From what has been described it sounds more like over fertilization, too much light, or possibly a mite problem. I agree with Fred's recommendation regarding the flushing as a first step toward a possible remedy.

Curtis