Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ceropegia00

Bunched center growth and leggy center leaves

Ceropegia00
12 years ago

Two of my violets have been exhibiting some irregular growth lately, so I separated them from the herd for fear of cyclamen mites. However I'm not totally sure if I have them or not...I've had mites in the past and got rid of my entire collection (sad times!) so I know what their damage looks like, but what's going on with these violets isn't quite the same.

The first one has started to get rather small, crumpled leaves in the center. They are mostly stem with a small bit of leaf on the end...there is also a small sucker growing on the exposed trunk but it is well out of the way of the center so I'm pretty sure that isn't the problem...I'm almost certain this one has mites but it's healthy otherwise and the rest of the leaves in the rosette look normal.

The other violet has been separated for awhile in a plastic bag and has become pretty leggy despite having decent lighting conditions (though not as good as my other violets) . The leaves on this one are growing almost straight up and are very long, not bunched like the other one. There isn't any crumpling on the center leaves either so I'm not sure if it has mites or if it just needs more light...

Any advice? All of my violets have the same soil mix (1/3 perlite 1/3 vermiculite 1/3 peat moss) and are watered with water containing a dilute 777 fertilizer. They are grown under artificial lights but have always done very well in the past.

Comments (4)

• aviolet6
    12 years ago

The second one just sounds like it needs more light. I grow many of mine under flourescent lights and have discovered a wide variety of differences in terms of lighting. Some need way more or less than others, also depending on their growth stage. If I were you I would try gradually putting the plant up on something such as a small plastic container an inch or two high, then after a few weeks put it on something higher. Eventually the leaves should spread out and you can tell it is getting enough light. Or, you could put it under a small light by itself, such as the flourescent grow lights in wal-mart for $10, and gradually increase the length of time the lights are on. Good luck!

• irina_co
    12 years ago

There is a seller on ebay that sells Forbid 4F 1/2 ounce for $23.99 with shipping. This miticide is a systemic, you need to spray every single plant in your house. Make sure that if you have fish, you have the tank well covered.

You do not need to throw away the whole collection. It is doable now.

I.

• terrilou
    12 years ago

Anytime I see bunched center growth I think mites, although other factors such as cold temps, ph problems, light, and fertilizer issues can mimic mite damage. Do you have a scope to see mites?
    I have been battling mites on and off for a few years and even though my collection could easily be replaced, I decided I wasn't going to let them win & so ordered the Forbid as mentioned and dipped all my violets a few days ago. Heres hoping they weren't a super strain of mites and have bit the dust!

I'm hoping you don't have mites and your problem plants will straighten out. . . but if you do, try Forbid.

• irina_co
    12 years ago

Hmm - why did you need to dip if the sprayer works just right.. less work, less dirt..

Anyway - if you got mites - it gets very ugly very fast- the distorted leaves will never be looking good. But - if you do an intervention immediately - mites are all gone.

Probably if it is one plant with dead center or small leaves - it can be all Terrilou mentioned. But - it doesn't spread. 2 plants touch leaves - and the second one still looks good - it is probably NOT mites.

The good part - Forbid shelf life is quite long, you can hold to it - and give it to friends if somebody caught it.

(That's Why Round Robin Idea Gives Me Shivers!)

Quote for the day:

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Irina, beyond the fine line...