Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lucky123_gw

Canary in a Coal Mine

lucky123
10 years ago

I have broad mites. It started in some begonias and spread to geraniums, dieffenbachia then to AV, and schefflera. I kept attributing the blight to various cultural problems but that many different plants in that many locations so fast? Some plants I had for years. It was the schefflera that was the indicator. Broad Mites on schefflera is a very specific twist and burn in new foliage. I treated with hot water 110 for 15 minutes and followed up with spectracide. The geraniums not only got the mites first but are now putting on new leaves more quickly than the other treated plants. So how do I tell if the mites are gone? If they aren't, I would think the geraniums would again blight first and fast, just like the start of the problem. In that case, the geraniums would be the canary in the coal mine, meaning, If my treatments didn't work, I should know from the geraniums very quickly. Anyone have any experience with Broadmites? How can I know if they are gone before they damage my slower reacting AV's?

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz