Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
minimac_gw

Judges' Clerks

minimac
14 years ago

Those of you who are judges and any one that has been a clerk in the past - what are the tasks and responsibilities and how knowledgeable must one be about violets and the other gesneriads and the AV show in general to be a judges' clerk? Would it be a good learning experience?

Thanks,

Mac

Comments (8)

• robitaillenancy1
    14 years ago

I've been an international judge for over 20 years.

A judges' clerk walks about 3 feet behind the judges.

Make no comment about what you think about the plant.

Your job is to take orders from the judges such as go get the Show President to settle any placement problem.

You MAY have to replace a plant that might be in the wrong section or the Show President may do it herself/himself.

You may be asked to write comments on the back of the card but most often the judge will do this then give you the card.

One of the judges' clerks places the ribbons, the other is there mostly to aid the judges.

This is a tremendous learning opportunity. You can listen to the judges' comentary but do not offer your own.

Nancy

• minimac
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you Nancy. Greatly appreciated.

Mac (who thinks it might be hard not to ooh and ah)

• fred_hill
    14 years ago

Hi Mac,
    Being a clerk is a great opportunity to listen and learn about violets. You can glean a lot of info from them on how they think the plant has been grown. You can also learn a lot by listening in when judges do design. Your job is to be a gopher for the judges. They may ask you to move a plant or pick it up and turn it. They may also ask you to check the description with entries and classification if they think something is wrong. In which case you would speak to the entires chairman or classification chairman and find an answer. You must be quiet at all times and speak only when you are asked. Don't hover behind them too closely. If they feel you are too close they will let you know. But.....on the whole I think you will find that most judges are only too willing to let you hear what they are saying. Above all, relax and enjoy the experience.
    Fred in NJ

• m3rma1d
    14 years ago

Fred--Did I hover to close when I clerked for you last year at Central Jersey? Thinking back, I don't remember keeping a distance (or anyone telling me to)
    Also, are you judging Central Jersey again this year? I'll be down for it, photographing with Lenny.

Mac--Clerking is really easy and fun. :-)

• minimac
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for responding Fred. I was thinking you were a judge. This does sound like a great opportunity as Nancy mentioned to learn more about violets and exactly what judges are looking for in a "Show" plant. I just wasn't sure what experience one must have to clerk, but you make it sound as though I could handle it.

I'm excited about the show in Raleigh, if they are in need of clerks I think I may sign up, all though my club all ready seems to be very actively in charge of placement and hospitality, BUT I WILL make time for the commercial sales room! LOL Can't wait. Wish you all were going.

Thanks again,
    Mac

• fred_hill
    14 years ago

Hi Mac,
    I don't know if they have scheduled all the people for clerking duties at convention yet, but if you can I would try to get in touch with someone to see if they need more people to clerk. If not try clerking at your local club when you have a show. I wish I were going to be there also but I am saving my money for next years convention which will be in Cherry Hill, NJ. It's about a 30 minute drive for me to get there and thats in traffic.
    Yes Anne Marie, I will be in Central Jersey judging and no you weren't standing too close. Are you entering any plants? I will see you there on the 25th.
    Fred in NJ

• m3rma1d
    14 years ago

Nope I'm not entering anything I don't think, but who knows, if I have something that looks "passable" I might bring it along 'cos word is that it's gonna be a sparse show... Lenny might have some good stuff to enter tho!

Look forward to seeing you :-)

• nwgatreasures
    14 years ago

I clerked at DAVS Convention and it was informative, simple and lots of FUN!

Dora

(who promises to share pics of what she brought home)