Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
where can i get wicks?????

Posted by zane101 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 3, 08 at 23:17

i want to wick my a.v how do i do this and where do i get the wicks??????thank you
zane

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: where can i get wicks?????

Hi Zane,
When I set up my plants on wicks, I use a 4ply worsted weight acryllic yarn for standard plants and split it into 2-2plies for minis and semis. I cut my wicks to about 10 inches, scrub it under water to remove any sizing and thread a wick through a hole in the bottom of the pot across the bottom and up the opposite side. I make sure the wick is wet so it will draw up the fertilized water in my pint reservoir. The lid of the reservoir has two holes. One near the center for the wick and one near the edge for filling the reservor. Many other people use nylon cord and some even cut up old pantyhose into thin strips to use for their wicks. Any man made fiber should work. Don't use cotton or any natural fiber which will rot.
Fred in NJ

o

You can also use panty hose. Just cut 1/2" strips starting with the toe of each leg. Stretch and cut. Be sure to dampen well before inserting into plant with barbeque skewer.

Nancy

o

what kind of soil should i use....

o

zane101,

Check out this great page on the Rachel's Reflections website about setting up for wick-watering. The first thing it addresses is soil :-)

Rachel passed away a month ago, but her site has helped countless people, and "behind the scenes", we are ensuring it will stay where it is to help countless MORE people in the future as well :-)

o

Wicking means constant water so you need a very light soil mix. If you are using the usual 1-1-1 peat, perlite, vermiculite, give the plant an extra part of perlite so the plant can dry out somewhat.

Nancy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here