Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
minimac_gw

Perlite on top of soil is rust colored

minimac
15 years ago

Hello, all! I'm a newbie. I'm so glad its March Madness. I don't feel quite so guilty spending the last two evenings away from family reading this forum. I'm on page five. I'd like to say I hope you, your families and plants are all doing well. While reading here I'd giggle to myself - "Oh, I did that too! Yes, I bought those pretty, but too big self watering ceramic pots." And the AV mix that just didn't feel right - pot, add a little of this a little of that - re-pot. The list goes on. But I'm having fun playing in the dirt AND they haven't croaked yet. Surprising with some of the stupid things I did that first week. This AV madness has been going on now maybe five weeks.

So, I've noticed that some of the perlite on top of soil is a rust color. There are two with wick ends above the soil that are also rusty. Below soil isn't. One AV is in a clear plastic pot. Perlite below surface is white. We have soft water. Haven't added salt in system for a good while, did use that after ran threw Britta filter and 24+ hour stand. Have stopped. (And perhaps have re-potted since then. Can't remember.) Last few weeks have used bottled spring and drinking water. Soil is Schultz AV mix w/fert. added verm.and perl. Wicks are white masonry line. It's just unattractive.

Thanks, take care.

Debbie K.

Comments (7)