Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvofroses

When Can I let it out?

luvofroses
14 years ago

I potted a leaf from one of my new violets the first of March. I put the pot and leaf watered and all went into a baggie. It still has humidity, still in it's baggie. looks good not black, still looks plump and firm. My question is when should this little leaf be allowed to venture out? How should this first visit to the big world be handled?

Thanks so much

Ann in So Ut

Comments (4)

• nwgatreasures
    14 years ago

We affectionately refer to those tiny new leaves as "mouse ears" and it's ok to open the bag when 3 or 4 new mouse ears appear in the crown and then when they get about the size of a dime/thumb-print, it's ok to remove them.

To me, this is the HARDEST time - to be patient. That's why I stick all my 'bagged' stuff upstairs on the shelf that I don't look at 20 times a day. It helps me to leave them alone so they can work their magic.

I leave them in the closed bag for 4-6 weeks, once I notice the new growth in the crown (at least 3 or 4 new ones) then I 'open' the bag (but leave it in/on) for about another week. If everything still looks good after that time, then I'll take the plant out of the bag and let it keep growing for another week or two.

After I've established that it's going to be ok, I'll remove the bottom leaves, repot, tend to it and sock the growth to it along with the other plants.

Dora

• luvofroses
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Dora thank you. I need to clarify. Are you calling the crown the end of the leaf i planted? I thought crowns were only on established plants. I am trying to be patient. It sits in a North facing window with only indirect light Just wondered if the leaf needed to come out before any new babies were spotted

• nwgatreasures
    14 years ago

The crown of the plant is the very center of the top where the new growth comes from.
    If you planted a "leaf" then the crown is the center of the baby leaves that will come up off the root of that leaf. All those leaves will form a crown but it may take a bit longer to get itself established.

North facing window may not be enough light. Do you have something with a bit more? Especially this time of year.

Rooting leaves takes a while, just keep it in the bag and watch it for another month or so. When you see 3 or 4 baby leaves peeking out of the dirt, you are getting closer.

Dora

• luvofroses
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes Dora I think I can find a better window. I will move the baggie and keep it in its little baggie till i see babies. Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my post. This is so new and I feel like a new mother worried and not knowing what to expect. Thanks again
    Ann in So Ut

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler