Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can pollen be saved?

Posted by whitelacey (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 13, 13 at 2:11

Does anyone know if pollen can be saved until the seed plant blooms? I have two violets I want to cross but the seed plant is not in bloom at this time and the pollen parent is. I can't find this information anywhere on the web.

Thanks,
Linda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can pollen be saved?

I found this at Grow Notes:

"Use pollen sacs from old or fading blooms - they will already be quite dry and the pollen inside should be powdery. Alternately, you can use pollen sacs saved from flowers that bloomed earlier. They are easy to keep for use in future crosses by storing in a paper envelope with a desiccant."

"Desiccants - You can purchase desiccants in various forms from craft stores or any retailer of dried or pressed flower supplies. You can also collect and reuse desiccant packets from shoe and leather goods purchases - they can be reactivated over time by zapping them in the microwave on low heat for 1 minute."

You could use rice as a temporary desiccant if you don't have anything else on hand.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hybridizing African Violets

o
RE: Can pollen be saved?

Thanks Moose ! Very helpful! :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here