Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
birdsnblooms

AnneBelle & IsaBella

birdsnblooms
13 years ago

A few years ago I purchased an African Violet with blue, bell-shaped flowers. It didn't have a name tag.

I don't know if it was one of the Optimara Series, since they're considered new. Wonder what they deem new?

First: is there another AV with bell-shaped flowers other than Optimaras?

Second: If there isn't, does anyone know where I can purchase either or both AnnaBelle & IsaBella African Violets? I prefer the plants, but leaves would work, too.

Thanks so much, Toni

Comments (20)

• bspofford
    13 years ago

Checking on FC2, it looks like 200 or so with bell shaped flowers.

By the way, neither Annabelle or Isabella (spelled that way in FC2) are bell shaped blossoms.

Try E-bay or do a google search.

Barbara

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Barb...long time no talk.
    What's FC2??

Last night I spent, at least, 45 mins looking for Annabelle and Isabella. I also went to a few AV nurseries, like Rob's, Violet Gallery and one other..can't recall the name.
    I then went to GWD and looked for AV/Gesneriad nurseries. No luck. One site said they're both new, but didn't state the year they became available.

I checked Ebay, too, typed in AV and both names, but none popped up.

Wait, neither Annabelle or Isabella have bell-shaped blooms?
    I found the names by Googling, AV's, bell shaped flowers. Both AV's were the first links to pop up. The links said, they had bell shaped blooms. Sheesh!

So, guess I'm on the hunt again. Thanks much. Although, I have to say, the flowers on both AV's are gorgeous. Thanks much, Toni

• irina_co
    13 years ago

Here where you can purchase these overpriced Southern Belles. (Optimaras)

They are not registered in AVSA Master List (First Class program FC2 you can purchase from AVSA)

Good Luck

irina

Here is a link that might be useful: aha

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Irina..oh my goodness, they ARE expensive..Way too much for my budget.
    Also, I was led to believe, flowers are bell shaped, until Barbara explained they were not.
    They are beautiful, but not at 27.50. lol..

Are you saying AV's can be purchased at AVSA site? Thanks, Toni

• Christine
    13 years ago

Hi Toni,

If you look at the descriptions on the web site Irina linked to, Optimara AnnaBelle and Optimara IsaBelle are bell-shaped Violets. The ones Barbara found on the FC2 program are ones with similar names (for example, Isabella instead of Optimara IsaBelle) but from different hybridizers. It's easy to get confused - in fact some of the AVs on FC2 have identical names. They don't let you register new AVs with identical/too similar previously registered names anymore.

You can buy Optimara AnnaBelle and Optimara IsaBelle leaves from the site Irina linked to and save some money, but at $8/leaf set, it's still pretty expensive! They are really pretty though.

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Irina..oh my goodness, they ARE expensive..Way too much for my budget.
    Also, I was led to believe, flowers are bell shaped, until Barbara explained they were not.
    They are beautiful, but not at 27.50. lol..

Are you saying AV's can be purchased at AVSA site? Thanks, Toni

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Donna, Ah, now I understand.

And I also remember where I heard the name Optimara before. Most big box and grocery stores here in IL, sells Optimara AV's. The lable is glued on the pot.
    I can't recall if these AV's are grown in Canada or elsewhere...

8.00 for a couple leaves is stil expensive. Years ago, success rooting AV leaves was about 95%, now it's less than 10%. Don't know what went wrong.

Wish I could find the true blue, bell-shaped AV bought locally..the price was just under or at 2.00 for a 4" potted AV. Never saw one like it again. The same varieties are sold here. Not many to choose from. I know chances of coming across the blue AV is very slim if not impossible.

Thanks for your help...Toni

• irina_co
    13 years ago

Toni -

you cannot buy plants on AVSA website. You can buy a program that will enable you to see all registered violetes - descriptions plus most of them have pics.

I am sure that if you keep an eye on ebay - you will find leaves or starters much cheaper.

Irina

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Irina...Yep, I'm going to wait and see if one or the other is listed on Ebay or an AV online nursery.

I've got to learn patience..lol...Thanks again, Toni

• bspofford
    13 years ago

Thanks to Irina for finding AnnaBelle and IsaBelle, and yes, they have bell-shaped flowers. And yes, it's all in the spelling!

Keep checking e-bay, these may turn up!

Good luck.

Barbara

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I replied to this thread last night; why did it not show up?

Barbara, think I thanked Irina, but if it didn't show, Thanks Irina... :)

Yep, it's in the names all right.. Anna 'Belle' and Isa 'Belle.' Perfect description of a 'bell-shaped' plant.

Barabara, I don't give up when it comes to plants. It might take months, but I will continue checking..

Actually, waiting is for the best..the last two wks, temps have gone from 80-40F. We even had snow showers yesterday..nothing much, no accumulation, but it's a little too cold, shipping AV's.

Thanks so much, Barbara..
    BTW, don't know if you remember me..I was trying to figure out, I think the word was Rubber-necking, meant, and what should be done to fix the problem.
    I spoke to a man named Fred...he gave me excellent advice.

This was 2 or 3 yrs ago..time goes so darn fast, who can rememeber? lol..Thanks for everything, Toni

• quitecontrary
    13 years ago

Hi -

I love Optimaras and Rhapsodies. I've spent way too much money on Selective Gardener and I have given that up. If I wanted these two plants, this is what I would do. I would hit all the big florists and box stores (such as Lowe's) that I know stock Optimaras. They will likely have new shipments in for Easter and Mother's Day. Might even ask the store to hold what I'm looking for! Anyway, Optimara only sells the 2 plants with bell-shaped flowers. So, if you see an Optimara pot with the bell-shaped blooms -- you've got your plant.

Good luck!

QC

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    13 years ago

GQ, great idea. I believe HD still sells Optimaras plants, but not certain. The closest Lowe's is 20+ miles away..We went there once..what a disappointment! They had a small section of common plants..no AV's at all..
    We walked out empty-handed, which is uncommon for me. lol

But you're right..With Easter so near, I can think of a few stores, including harware stores that sell many plants..Thanks..Toni

• fred_hill
    12 years ago

Hi Toni,
    Dep;ending on where you live, there may be a show near you this spring. Most shows also have plant sales and you might be able to find something there that will suit your needs. My club in NJ is having their show next weekend and in Three weeks there is the AVSA convention in Cherry Hill, NJ.
    Fred in NJ

• irina_co
    12 years ago

Travisviolets.com carries these varieties for $6 a piece.
    I had some trouble navigating this website - I can only say that his selection is INCREDIBLE - lot's of oldies and rarities.

I recommend to go to website, press the link "contact" and send Travis an email.

Irina

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey Fred!!! Great to see you.
    The only shows/clubs, within a reasonable driving distance is a C&S Club. And Herbs. The club is much closer, but the neighborhood is iffy..the Sale is in a beautiful area, but an hour+ drive. Lots of traffic. Since it's once a year, we've been out there a couple times.
    The second place used to hold Bromiliad and Orchid meetings and sales, but don't know if they're still on.

But, NO Gesneriads Shows or Clubs!

BTW, I'm in IL. Southwest burb.

Remember, I came here to ask about, think the term was Rubbernecking? Is that correct?

I did surgery, 'following your instructions,' which was successful.

That was two or three years ago.

I noticed a few of my AV's have long necks again..
    Is the word I'm looking for rubbernecking? I'll do a search here on the AV forum. I forgot how the procedure was done.
    That thread was long with many, informative instructions on how the surgery is done. lol.

I have a few more questions, but don't know if I should start a new thread or ask here??
    Well, I might as well ask. lol

How often should AV's be repotted? I recently read an article that stated, repotting/or adding fresh soil, 'taking the plant out of the pot, and renewing w/new soil,' should be done once every two years. Is that right?

Also, should soil be well-draining? Which soils or mixture of soils should be used?

The last time I repotted, 'don't ask the length of time,' I used MG AV Soil, with Perlite and a little Peat. AV's seem to like this mix, but is there something better?

Last question is how often to fertilize? I've read some posts here, but everyone fertilizers at different times. Some, every watering, etc.
    AV's are bottom-watered, but when fertilizer is added, they're watered from the top. But I add fertilizer, half-strength, once a month..is this not enough? Also, is there one fertilizer better than another..

Sorry for all the questions, Fred, and whomever has answers, but the last couple years, I've been concentrating on other plants, sort of, ignorning AV's..not good,.I do love them.

Irina, Thank You. I'll check it out now.

Thanks to everyone, and glad seeing everyone again, Toni

• m3rma1d
    12 years ago

Hey Toni, I sent you a friend request on facebook the other day... add me! :-)

I've never heard it called "rubbernecking" except when you say it.
    Here's a video I made about cutting off long necks: click here

Standard AVs should be repotted about every 6 months.
    About every 4 months for the minis.

No need to add more peat to AV mix since it's already mostly all peat to begin with. The added perlite is a must, tho. I add 1/2 AV mix and 1/2 perlite.

My plants are on wick reservoirs and my water always has fertlizer in it (1/8 tsp fert. to 1 gallon of water) so they are never not getting fed.

--m3rma1d

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    12 years ago

M3...Although I have a Facebook Acct, it's been a long, long time since I've been there..After hearing about all the viruses, guess I got scared..lol.
    Also, Facebook used to send alerts, whatever they're called, to my primary email..somehow, they changed to a second email acct only used for Ebay, etc.
    I never gave them this address, and rarely check this acct.

One other thing..I got several emails, on the second acct, from ppl I don't know..again, got scared..lol..
    M3, sorry, if I got an alert from you, I didn't recognize your name, but I don't recall seeing it either. I usually delete all Facebook emails..

Your video was excellent. I watched it 3 times..lol..When I get to 'decapitating,' I'm going to view it again.
    You make it look so easy..Especially with that little AV. Sheesh..my hands would be shaking. lol.

I can't recall where Rubbernecking came from..I'd have to do a search. Maybe there was another name, but for some reason that term comes to mind.

Every 6 months repotting Standards..that's good to know. Well, my poor angels are way overdue. I only have 20-22 AV's, but many many other plants..Each needs repotting or freshened soil. I planned on repotting outdoors. It's going to be a messy job. And I want to toss old soil..Think I only have 2 mini AV's, the remainders are Standards and a couple Large.

Do you use small pieces of bark in your mix? For drainage?
    You see, M3, I mix soils depending on type of plant..For Tropicals, Succulents, etc. Mediums are inside plastic containers w/lids. That way, when it's time to repot, the mix is already made.

For AV's my mix contains, AV soil, small bark chips, and Perlite.

So your AV's aren't overfed since they're continuously fertilized? Do you leech soil so salts don't accumulate?
    I purchased a non-Urea AV Fertilizer. Would you know if this type contains less salt?

Guess I'd better fertilizer more and get to repotting and decapitating. I can actually work on AV's indoors..Thanks much, M3.

Oh, one more thing. On your video, after you did surgery on the AV, 'top' what did you do with the bottom/trunk? Toss or will it regrow? Toni

• m3rma1d
    12 years ago

I've never gotten a virus from facebook and I practically live on there, but I get that some people aren't comfortable... It's ok.

If you liked that video, you should check out all the other ones on my blog. :-)

No I don't use bark in my mix... Just 1/2 AV mix and 1/2 perlite.

My AVs aren't overfed... Might be because I do 1/8tsp instead of 1/4 like the packages call for. Since they're ALWAYS being fed, I cut it in half. It's worked for 4 years, so I won't change it. I don't leech the soil because I repot on schedule so I don't worry about buildup.

I never pay attention to urea/non-urea. In my opinion (and a lot of others' opinions) it doesn't matter if you repot on schedule. I don't know which has more salt, and don't care :-p

I toss the bottom "trunk", but some people save them and can get them to sprout new little suckers...

--m3rma1d

• birdsnblooms
    Original Author
    12 years ago

M3...I wasn't worried about Facebook until my brother got a virus...
    Don't know if I should say what happened...Well...

Someone (from his primary email) sent him a Facebook email with a link..The senders name was on the Facebook email. 'Frank, someone put a nude picture of you on YouTube.'
    My brother clicked the link. Well, before he knew what was happening, numerous emails from every site imaginable were popping up..then his screen went blank.
    He rebooted, but got nothing. He called his provider, told them what happened..They explained the email was NOT from the person on his primary email list..somehow the hackers get names from our lists, so we automatically think it's safe. It's not from that person..the same thing happens to others who get this virus.
    This happened last summer.

Now, I'm hearing it's happened to others..So when my emails would go to my second acct, w/names I've never heard, I panicked.

Guess it's safe if you go directed to Facebook, which is what I've should have been doing all along..
    Went to Facebook tonight..it said I had 35 something or others..lol..I really never got into Facebook.

I plan on reviewing your entire blog, M3..So far, everything I read is informative and interesting, and love your videos. Toni

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths