Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angolita

(Possible) Ness' Orange Pekoe Sport African violet

angolita
12 years ago

{{gwi:363024}}

{{gwi:363026}}

I have a (possible) Ness' Orange Pekoe African Violet Sport.The mother leaf was solid green and the (2) baby plants have solid iridescent pink leaves with black spots. The leaves looks just like an Episcia.I'm not sure if this is a sport or a virius or something else.? Also,how common is this?

Comments (4)

• nmushka (7; Virginia)
    12 years ago

To me, those look like the leaves of an over-watered plant...

• Christine
    12 years ago

There is a plant called Tina's April Fantasy that has dark spots on the leaves. Although there may be others, it's the only one that I know of that is supposed to have spots on the leaves, so if your plants are healthy they would be interesting rare sports!

I've had solid green leaves produce solid white babies, dark green leaves produce light green babies, etc. It's common in my experience for the babies to look different from the mother leaves, but they eventually start looking more and more like the mother plants. Ness' Orange Pekoe has leaves with pink variegation in them, so that might explain the pink color.

It's hard to see what the spots on your plants look like and since spotted leaves are usually a sign of a problem I put in a link below to Doctor Optimara. You can look them up by appearance and other symptoms, if any, that your plants have to narrow down the possible causes. Good luck. Please let us know how things turn out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dr. Optimara Leaf Symptoms

• angolita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi all, thanks nmushka and donna c for your feedback. The pictures of the baby plant really does not compare to seeing it in real life. The leaves do have a little brown in them I think as well as orange and pink (mostly pink) the spots on thev leaves look almost black. The baby plant(s) (there where 2 like this) do look healthy. I just took off the baby plant yesterday from the mother leaf. I probaubly should find a smaller pot to put in in though.Donna C thanks for the link for Dr.Optimara this will be very helpful to me. I will hopefully try to post a picture of the plant as it gets older.

Angela :)

• GrowHappy
    12 years ago

Hi Angela,
    One other thing to consider is Impatients Necrotic Spot Virus (INSV). Do a google search on it and you'll find lots of info and some pictures in PHOTOBUCKET of plants infected with the virus. Some of her plants had pink; mosaic colored leaves; the typical bullseye ring spot; stunted centers and some had no symptoms at all!

Your leaves should be planted in 2 oz solo cups, if you can find them. The smaller the pot, the less time it takes to fill the pot with roots and the sooner you get babies. You don't want to overpot your leaves or your violets because they will rot.

Sponsored
Uncommon Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Turnkey Interior Design Studio in Loudoun County, VA