Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenvein

Standard stars

greenvein
16 years ago

Hi. Does anyone know a source for standard star leaves? Or does anyone have several colors who is willing to trade? Thanks, Dael

Comments (11)

• fred_hill
    15 years ago

HI Dael,
    I did a search on FC2 for standard single stars and it came up with 869 possibilities. About 20 of them we Optimaras which should be abaivable at Selective Gardener.

Here is a link that might be useful: Selective Gardener

• greenvein
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Fred, thanks for the information. I have emailed you twice; both were returned as undeliverable.

I am still searching for other souces, fellow gardenwebbers.

• trailer_gal
    13 years ago

Fred, wanted to ask you about FC2. If someone had a description of a violet they had at some time and would like to replace it, could they try to find the violet without knowing the name, by submitting a description? Large bloom, double, pink, year purchased etc. Do you find the violets by looking at photos or by descriptions? Just curious.
    Thanks
    Sherry

• robitaillenancy1
    13 years ago

greenvein,

You asked about standard star LEAVES.

I think you mean standard star hybrids since leaves are not in star shape, flowers are.

There are hundreds of standard hybrids with star shaped flowers. And colors are numerous.

Trailer_gal, yes, it is possible to search for a plant by its description, but you will get many results. You have the year, which might narrow it down. Searching using the info double pink would give hundreds of answers. Can you describe the foliage? green/variegated, quilted, serrated, etc?

Nancy

• irina_co
    13 years ago

Trailer gal -

I side with Nancy. The descriptions... they just have so
    many words in them and some are very brief.
    You have better chance to compare with the ones that have pics. You put a description in a search, come up with 50 results - limit them to the ones that have pics - and try to eyeball these.

When people are asking me - I grew Top Banana 30 years ago - and I want it back - I can say - it is probable that nobody grows it anymore plus it was not registered even back then. But we can try to find lavender two-tone variegated standard in FC2 - and try to get you a newer hybrid - like Buckeye Berry - that will be close or better than the one you had before.

By the way - anybody grows Top Banana?

Irina

• trailer_gal
    13 years ago

Thanks Nancy and Irina. I purchased the violet in Minneapolis, probably around 1975. As I remember, i think it had the plain leaves, a medium color toward lighter, and I don't think any red on the back of leaves.
    The plant was a medium size. The flower was the largest I have ever seen. The blossoms were so heavy that they didn't face out. They faced downward and you had to lift them to see them. They were a medium to light pink. Very double, almost like a carnation. The blossoms didn't all come out in the same area, like a corsage. They were more distributed throughout the plant.
    That is another question I have always wondered about. Are the violets bred to have the corsage look of all the blooms coming from one area on top, or are the grown in a way to promote the blossoms to do that?
    Would sure like to know the names of similar violets.
    Sherry

• greenvein
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The responses are getting way off my request. Robitaillenancy1, it is common to exchange leaves rather than plantlets; I assumed everyone would understand that if they ever grew AVs. Sorry to be unclear to you.

• trailer_gal
    13 years ago

Oops, sorry greenvein. That was my mistake. I got so excited when fred mentioned fc2 I butted in, without thinking, because I have been wondering how it works. Should have started a new thread.
    Hope we can get back on track.
    Sherry

• nwgatreasures
    13 years ago

Some people prefer to trade/buy only leaves....lots less risk that way.

Hope you find what you're looking for.
    Dora

• irina_co
    13 years ago

Dael - sorry for getting off the track.

Regarding the leaves versus plantlets. If the person, you are going to ask for the specific plant, is a commercial - you will get charged more for the starter than for the plant - because you are getting ahead in time - you will get your plant blooming 4 months sooner.
    If it is a "non-profit" exchange - you can as well get starters - because they take valuable space on somebody's shelf.

Regarding your desire to have plants with star shaped flowers - you really need to check at least on AVSA.org on Photographs regarding what you like better - doubles or singles, variegated or green leaf varieties, what colors... There are 15000 registered violets - and as it was mentioned almost 900 of the are stars... I have no doubt you will enjoy looking at the Gallery and discover a lot of interesting treats besides star shape.

Good Luck

Irina

• fred_hill
    13 years ago

YOu can do a search in fc2 using any info that you have BUT as someone else said you may find that there are a hundred or so of plants that match your description. I tried doing a search for it using a pink star but also asked for a registration date of pre 1975. Got no answer. If you remember where you purchased it, that might help.
    Sorry,
    Fred in NJ

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County