Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
momoftwoobx

Dropping bottom row of leaves

momoftwoobx
11 years ago

Haven't repotted or done anything different with this violet so not sure why all of sudden the bottom row of leaves are all drooped. The soil is slightly damp to the touch but not wet and my other violets are happy as can be.

I noticed two of the leaves are contorted and researched that could be cyclamen mites. Don't really know much about this.

We did start a bunch of vegetables, herbs and flowers from seeds and they have been growing in the house near these.

Comments (6)

• snappyguy
    11 years ago

Based on the appearance of the plant, I suspect the bottom row of leaves is just old. Those leaves are somewhat yellow in comparison to the younger leaves, and this is a sign of age. It's a normal process. Once leaves begin to yellow it's best to remove them, as they seem to sap energy from the rest of the plant, but don't really contribute anything back.

Mark

• aegis1000
    11 years ago

Based on that same photo, I would hazard that your violet's potting condition was a little too "wet" in the recent past.

There appears to be some of what I call "rootzone compromise", which means that some portion of your plant's roots have died.

The good news is that your plant's condition doesn't appear to be fatal. I would try and let the plant dry out a bit, ... and then, very judiciously give it just water (no fertilizer) and just enough to slightly dampen the soil.

Less water is better now, as your plant's ability to pull water from the soil has been compromised, and it simply can't handle as much water as it normally would.

Eventually, with proper care (within a month), new roots will grow, and some of your limp leaves may recover.

Others won't, but then you can just remove them.

• irina_co
    11 years ago

Aegis -

so far I didn't see one single case of a self curing of the root rot. I agree with you - it is very possible a beginning of root rot due to overwatering.

Anyway - my actions -
    I would pop the plant out of its pot, remove all drooping older leaves - Mark is right - and look at the roots. If there is rot - you cut the rot off - to the healthy tissue - plant your crown back even if there is no roots left - and keep it covered with a baggie until it roots - about 2 weeks.

Yes - overwatering is the cause - but the second thing - if you do not repot at least once a year - the plants become more susceptible to rot.

Good Luck

irina

• aegis1000
    11 years ago

Irina ...

Fortunately, I have been able to recover many plants in exactly the way that I stated.

Sounds like your method may lead to a quicker recovery however.

And it is good to know that annual repotting can reduce the risk of root rot.

I would rather not have to deal with it in the first place.

• irina_co
    11 years ago

AE-

IMHO - if you take the old plant and reroot the crown - it rejuvenates it. It starts growing, blooming better = and you will enjoy it for some more time. Otherwise - the older it gets - even if you repot it - the vitality goes down - and it will either sport or succumb to the rot.

If it is really a rot in a stem - you only have a short time to save the crown. If the damage is limited to the lower part of the roots - there is a chance to save it by drying. Sometimes you can tell by the way how the the center looks - if it is kinda dull - that's it. If still fresh and healthy - as on the plant OBXMom posted - rot didn't get into the stem yet.

but I would repot anyway.

I.

• momoftwoobx
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks - I did take the plant out of the pot and the soil was quite wet around the stem/root. The plant has been in the pot a little over a year and still has seemed to be happy before I over watered. I think my watering got off when we started the new flowers and veggies. I have removed the bottom 3 or 4 rows of leaves and have left the rest of the plant out to dry a little.

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County