Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
conuremama

possible discoloring of leaves?

conuremama
11 years ago

So i have many violets with healthy darker colored leaves but this past year i rescued this one from a very cold room in a Walmart.but its leaves have remained the same drained yellowish color.and it has not bloomed yet either.

Comments (7)

• mooseblossoms
    11 years ago

It looks like the crown is trying to green up. Your plant may have been just establishing its roots and is now working on putting out some new leaves. How long has it been since it's been repotted? African violets like to repotted every six months.

If it were mine, I would take it out of the pot, remove all the yellow leaves, loosen and remove a lot of the soil and pot it in a much smaller pot. This will give it a nice restart. Good luck!

This was taken from the Optimara site:
    "Overpotting: Cultural problem which describes an African Violet being grown in a pot that is too large. When overpotted, an African Violet will expend the greatest part of its energy growing roots, thus reducing the amount of energy which might otherwise go to growing leaves and flowers. In addition, because the larger pot size will hold more water than an African Violet can absorb, conditions of excessive moisture will leave the African Violet susceptible to potentially fatal diseases, such as Crown Rot, Pythium and Root Rot."

• irina_co
    11 years ago

C-mama -

the yellowed leaves are not going to get better. You can let them be - they will live their life - which is about a year - and you will remove them then. If you won't remove them right now - you can leave your plant as is - make sure you provide enough light and fertilizer for it. It is someway overpotted - moosebloom is right. I would be really be paying attention not to overwater it - otherwise it will catch rot easily. No standing in water - and do not water until it needs it - means dry, not bone dry, but normally dry - surface and at least half inch more are dry.

Unless tit is something very rare - I wouldn't bother saving the damaged plant. It takes more time than it worth to look at the sad looking plant that cannot decide to live or to die - while the healthy one would be blooming its head off making you happy.

• canukgirl
    11 years ago

I've given up trying to save a plant. Too much stress and worry trying to figure out what the little thing needs. This one looks like it needs higher nitrogen in the fertilizer to green up the new leaves it produces. Oops! there I go again.

Canukgirl

• mooseblossoms
    11 years ago

You have done such a great job with the plant so far! It is rewarding you with healthy new growth! It just needs grooming and a smaller pot. If your other violets are fine under the same conditions, I don't see why this little one can't be too. But I am too soft-hearted. I always try to save them all. :-)

• conuremama
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok thank you all so much.i will definitely trim it and put it in a smaller pot.was just nervous about it because when i brought it home it had another plant crushing it that i removed.and i did not know they liked to be repotted every six months either.
    I have a hard time leaving violets behind at stores looking as awful as this one did.

• conuremama
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok thank you all so much.i will definitely trim it and put it in a smaller pot.was just nervous about it because when i brought it home it had another plant crushing it that i removed.and i did not know they liked to be repotted every six months either.
    I have a hard time leaving violets behind at stores looking as awful as this one did.

• irina_co
    11 years ago

C-mama -

If the leaves are damaged - they will stay off color, no amount of fertilizer and prayers will make them healthy looking again. But they do work and feed the plant despite their olive color.

SOFTHEARTED LADIES - when you go shopping - do you bring wilted lettuce and moldy strawberries home - because you feel sorry for the produce?

Get yourself a fresh delivered plant with lots of buds. Enjoy it!

The only reason to work hard on the plant - is if it is special, rare - and worth the efforts. In this case - put the leaves down - so you will have healthy new plantlets eventually. The damaged AV plant - will never perform well enough. The baby off it - will.

good Luck

irina