Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Linda you ask to see my growing area

Posted by philpet jamaica (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 14, 14 at 9:55

Hi Linda, this is my little heaven, its shaped in a U shape, I will show you each section differently because its impossible to get a pic of all of it at once. I don't have much in bloom just some oncidium and AV plus one phal :) . Velleta

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Linda you ask to see my growing area

This is my Violets section, its on the north side it gets lots of bright light becase as you can see it has really big windows. Velleta

o

Phals section, right beside th violets on th north. Velleta

o

Dendrobium, oncidiums, cattlya sction dead west these go stright to the floor, the first pic shows this. Vellta

o

More phals on the south side, these get filterd evening sun from the west side through the dendrobiums. Velleta

o

This is my violets nursary :) I place suckers and leaves here, this is also to th south side, right next to some phals thy also get evening sun from west. So now you hav seen my little heaven, I hope I did not bore you to death, I will be going to a flower show in may I am hoping to get a YELLOW av, som lady slippers, and a red dndrobium. Vellta

o

WOW! You're worse than I am! LOL! I want a greenhouse SO BAD! All my sunny windows are full of plants.

o

Thanks Tommyr, I will take it as a compliment lol, I know what you mean. I will be attending a show in may and I promised myself to limit my purchases, I have no space left, but knowing myself when it comes to AVs and Orchids, I rally need help lol.Velleta

o

Velleta --Thanks for showing us your growing area. It is so interesting to imagine you growing violets down there when I am up here in Iowa and it snowed last night.
Mary

o

My pleasure Mary, wow snow, I have never seen actual snow, we are a tropical climate so lots of rain but nvr snow. Velleta

o

lol, i better save these photos for when DH tells me i have too many plants :-p
(not jealous - oh, well, maybe i am ;-)

o

Velleta, I really enjoyed your pictures and your place is really beautiful, thanks for sharing these.

o

Froschli, my husband tells me that evryday LOL. But I make sure that my pants and the DH stays vry far apart, thy are in an extra patio so he has no need to go near them :), and when I buy new ones I make sure he's not home lol. PERLE, you ar very welcome, I love my plants very much and try very hard to keep them halthy,as do all of us here and I am really happy for this forum, you guys are th ones who help me to be sucessful.and thanks also for the compliment on my place. Velleta

o

Hi Velleta,
Thanks for your pix! Fun to read your posts and see your patio for AVs and other plants. It is great to have a screened in patio.
Joanne

o

Thanks Joanne.πŸ˜‰

o

Velleta,

Beautiful plant room! And your plants look great! I love seeing other people's growing areas and how they have managed the space. Thanks for sharing.

Also--there is no such thing as too many plants!!!

Linda

o

Thanks Linda, I know their NO such thing as too mch plants, that's why I keep buying more, LOL I went in my plant room this morning and I said to myself velleta, if you get a few more variety orchids and AV you could put them next to the ons on the south side, so no need to worry you have lots of space, I am already preparing for the show in May because I know I will need the space. Thanks to everyone for your comments, I enjoyed shearing my little space with you hopefully next time I show you pics it will be full of beautiful blooms. Velleta

o

Velleta,

I think you are on your way to lots of blooms. Your violets look so much better than when we started here!

Linda

o

WOW!!! This is so awesome! Thanks for sharing your growing area! I'm fairly new here, so we haven't "met" yet, but I've enjoyed reading your posts, Velleta. You are really doing well!
I have a little "jungle" in my kitchen, but not nearly as many plants as you have.
Does anyone else have pictures of their growing areas on the forum? I haven't been reading here very long. I just LOVE all of the beautiful AV pictures I've seen here!

o

No such thing as too many plants - unless you talk to my husband. I do believe he thinks they're taking over. Now that spring's here in SC (well not today because it's suppose to freeze the next 2 nights and we're already a week past planting day!!) many of my plants will be making their way to the screened-in porch and back deck. My AV's, of course, will stay put. It gets too hot here in the summer for them.

Thanx so much for sharing your growing space. Now I don't feel so bad :)

o

EWelcome to the forum SueOK ( guys we hook another one) lol.don't worry we all started with one, if you go over previous post you will see so many wondrful. Plants and ideas and aslo learn how to better take care of your plants. VIVEY, that's how the husbands are, they really don't understand our love for this hobby yet they expect us to understand them putting tools everywhere LOL. I am previlage to have an entire space for myself. I suppose we just have to deal with it the best we can. We have really hot summers here too, last summer my entire collection got heat stroke, but I am better prepared this year, thanks to all I learnt from everyone here. LINDA I really do hope so :). VELLETA

o

Fortunately, my DH, although not as enthusiastic I am about plants, understands and supports my addiction to nature. Now if I could only get him interested in cooking...

Linda

o

Linda,if you do get the DH interested in cooking please be kind enough to shear I am sure 99% of the humble wives here would be eternally grateful, we in the meantime will not be holding our breath's,I doubt anyone can hold their breath forever πŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒ.not saying a few of us arnt lucky to have a DH that loves to cook,BUT they are all already taken.πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰. Velleta

o

Velleta,

My newly-wed DD has a spouse who is an amazing cook but-she can't even keep artificial plants alive so I guess we all have our blessings!

Linda

o

Ah my DH cooks quite well - he just never cleans up after himself. :-p

o

My DH cooks, but the last time was ..........., oh yes when our son was born( our son is fifteen years old), LOL.can't believd I remembred. VELLETA

o

Velleta,

I'm a goner..... I've been loopy about plants for a long time, especially AVs. Fortunately, my husband loves anything do to with John Deere tractors, so we each have our collections, and he likes my plants. :) He doesn't cook, but he really appreciates my efforts, so that's good enough for me!

It really is wonderful to be able to glean from the knowledge and experience of others here on the forum. I'm learning, and enjoying it so much!

o

Oh, my. A tractor collection is a major thing :) You can justify a lot of plants...

Velleta does have a lovely growing space there. I think she's out-growing it though :D.

Diana

o

Do you use tap water or water from store?

o

Beautiful collections.....

o

Diana,your right but I still have a bit to go πŸ˜‰.FRUSTTRATED, why did you choose that name? I am curious.i use ONLY rain water with all my plants.i use a barell to collect it,I find my plants love it an I don't have to deal with the clorine issue.CHRISTINE 1950 thanks much,I really do love them a lot and I do my best to take care of them.Velleta

o

Velleta,
How did you post your photos? From your mobile phone? A lot of my plants are blooming now, I would like to post pictures to the forum to encourage people.
I read through the instructions given elsewhere, but they sound a bit complicated. I have a Mac Apple computer and
an I Phone. Not sure if I have to load them onto the Mac first or if I can send them directly to the GW Forum. I know how to send them to email, but that is not the same.
Thanks,
Joanne

o

Joanne,I have two phones,a blackberry and a Nokia Lumia.i can't figure out how to do it from the Lumia,so I use my BB.in the slot where it say image file to upload,I click on it and it takes me to my media san disc card,I then click on the pic I want to upload and that's it the pic is entered into the slot,when I finish typing my message I press preview,and that's where the pic open so you see it,I then press submit.and that's it, I am still trying to figure it out for the Lumia because it dosnt' load like that on it.i don't know if it will work on your phone either.velleta

o

Velleta, thanks for the tips. This gives me some good ideas to try. Joanne

o

Velleta, thanks for the tips. This gives me some good ideas to try. JoSnne

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here