Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
propogation?

Posted by katy122 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 28, 10 at 10:03

I have a "noid" violet I would like to propagate....is it better to use the newer leaves or the leaves on the lower section of the plant?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: propogation?

Here's a quote from the African Violet Society of Canada's website at http://www.avsc.ca/propagation.htm#Leaf: "To propagate the variety you have chosen you must take a leaf from the parent plant. Take the leaf from one of the middle ranks of leaves. Leaves from the outer row are too old and feeble to give you many plantlets. Those closer to the centre are too immature."

I've also found that the last row of leaves take much longer than younger leaves to produce babies and I'm still working on that patience thing : )

o

Exactly, something in between, but I would say leaning toward the younger side. The idea is (for AV propagation or cutting in general or tissue culture) if something is actively growing, the cells are multiplying faster so you would get better or faster result.

o

Yahoo! I always love it when I learn something new...you guys always come through for me...thanks. Sue

o

leaves from the middle of the plant. check. i would have used the bottom leaves.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here