Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cookie_grow

Re: Suckers and Sucker removal with pictures

cookie_grow
9 years ago

Found this article, thought it was interesting. May be useful for those who are new to african violet suckers and sucker removal from plants.

http://www.babyviolets.com/blogs/whats-wrong-with-my-african-violet

Cooks.

Here is a link that might be useful: Suckers Sucker Removal

This post was edited by cookie_grow on Mon, Apr 28, 14 at 10:05

Comments (10)

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

Hi Cooks,
    Thanks, this article you referenced provides helpful information. The following section in the article has two incorrect words, the words routing should be replaced with the word routine.
    How to prevent African Violets from suckering?

Ensure basic routing care of African Violets to prevent suckering. Keep the plants watered, fertilized and repotted in fresh soil and suckers will not form. Many times, if the suckers are continually removed from the plant, this will also prevent future suckering. Routing grooming of the African Violet plant can ensure that it maintains good crown growth and breaks the habit of suckering.

The article states at the end that if a plant has too many large suckers, it is best to get rid of it and replace it. Because the plant is a living organism, it might be kinder to the plant to take leaves to start new plants and allow the parent plant to live. It is also possible to remove larger crowns and restart them so that the original plant may survive and have a second chance. If removing crowns results in a long neck, this can be potted down. This is also good practice for those new to the growing and care of AFs.
    Joanne

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

Good basic information, a keeper

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

Let's keep this at the top of the list, the question it answers comes up a lot.
    J

• cookie_grow
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi, I agree I also saw the error of routing instead of routine Joanne :). For me, the pics were useful.

cooks.

• Karin
    9 years ago

Oops, do I have to admit now that I only looked at the pictures?

I have to admit, I just had to separate a new mini that had grown three crowns, all intertwined, and it was very hard to tell which was the main one. So from that point of view, it's much easier to see and remove them when they aren't overgrown yet...

And, note to self: suckers are like leaves, you don't have to plant every. single. one.

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

Hi Cooks, Yes, the photos are very useful. I added it to Clippings. My club recently gave a demo of removing suckers on an Optimara specimen. I will refer club members to the link. I sent so many emails before because my computer was slow. Yo, Karin, Interesting advice, coming from you! ;0)
    J

• quimoi
    9 years ago

"suckers are like leaves, you don't have to plant every. single. one. "

But they wanted to grow so much! LOL! Guilty of potting too many of both. At least my own plants don't get many suckers.

Diana

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

Good advice, Diana

• quimoi
    9 years ago

No. More on the lines of Catherine Aird's
    'If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.'
    Diana

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    9 years ago

Clipping the previous post. ;)

Sponsored
Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company