Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sabrebuddy

Show Plants

sabrebuddy
15 years ago

Hi everyone, as most of you have read I want to join a club, O.k. say I do join this club and now next spring show comes. Now my big guestion is how do you pick out your show plants and how many do you chose. Terri

Comments (4)

• bspofford
    15 years ago

Terri,

This is probably one of the most oft-repeated programs at club meetings, "Growing to Show". And, the new edition of that book "Growing to Show" is one of the most often recommended, not only for show tips but for its very comprehensive basic growing information. And, you'll have a whole clubful of people ready and willing to share their knowledge with you.

For myself, I would look at young plants that grow symmetrically and put forth good heads of bloom as likely candidates for entering in a show. How many? As many as I can comfortably baby for the period of time being grown for show, and as many as I can comfortably transport.

Good luck to you, and I'm sure you'll find your new clubmates some of the nicest people around.

Barbara

• fred_hill
    15 years ago

Hi Terri,
    How many is too much? I try to grow as many as I can for show. When I was younger I would hopefully have between 2 and 3 dozen plants to bring. Now that I am older and can't go up and down the stairs to get my plants and pack them up and put them in my SUV I generally try to put at least a dozen in a show. I will say that if I have a lot of minis and semis that I can manage more but..... the plants that really draw the attention of the public are the standards which are hopefully 12 - 18+ inches in size with large heads of bloom. What to pick? I generally rely on plants which have done well for me in the past. I like certain plants and generally depend on them to come into bloom when I want them to. If you would like to see some of my plants click on the link. There are additional photos of some of my plants in my clubs website which is:
    http://www.princetonol.com/groups/gsavc/
    Fred in NJ

Here is a link that might be useful: flickr

• sabrebuddy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Fred, I love all your plants I hope mine grow up to be like yours,the flower of playful spectrum was just amazing I just purchased this violets and I can only hope mine grows and flowers that well. I also visited your club's website and I enjoyed that also. I think that it is really nice the way your club allows a non-member to be apart of the show once. I'm still trying to decide on how many I would take and as I will be useing the babies that are just born. I want to say so far I have chosen Rebels Corabella and Pink Summit as I think Pink Summit has such a beautiful,happy flower. I'll let you know as time passes of my choices. And you know I will be needing you help right till the end. Thanks so much Fred -Terri

• missjennie
    15 years ago

Hi Fred:

I just checked out the pictures. Your plants are lovely. I too am going to jump into showing this summer. I have three plants in mind at this time. One is a Pink Summit, another is an Artic Frost, and the other possibility is a Ma's Toxic Spill. Jennie

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville