Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where did the color go?

Posted by ultra_violet none (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 2, 13 at 10:38

Long time lurker first time poster here. All the lower blossoms on my Rob's Loose Noodle are white, but the first flower on each stalk is bicolor and true to variety. I don't think it's sporting. What's going on here?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where did the color go?

UV-

it IS sporting. Some plants are variable - the blossom color depends on the season - "Beachcomber" is one of them - from practically white to practically blue and everything in-between - so it is a feature, but it is rare when a hybridizer registers it as variable. Usually we expect the plants to be more or less stable.

You observe your plant- and if you see the bloomstalk that has true flowers - take the leaf under it and root it. There is a chance the babies will come up true. Otherwise - enjoy it as is.

I had Rob's Flim Flam - that should have pink eye - and it was practically all white with just a touch of pink every so often - so it was a sport- but it was still a lovely plant with dark shiny leaves.

Good Luck

irina

o

Even with true and mutant flowers on the same stalk, the plant would still be considered sporting? Thanks.

o

If all flowers are matching the variety - it is good. If not all - the plant on the show will be penalized.

They are early signs of sporting - some of the flowers are blooming solid - and "birthmarks" on the leaves - part of the leaf is darker or lighter than it should be. It means - soon your plant will go into sport - and if you want to grow named true blooming plants only- this one should become a gift to your non-violet friends.

I.

o
RE: Where did the color go?.

cannot stop myself from cracking a corny joke -
just a bit of sporting is sporting - you cannot be slightly pregnant - it is either Yes or No.

Bad, bad Irina

o

LOL that joke just made my day. The flowers are lovely, true or not.

o

Insightful and interesting blog article by Dr. Rob regarding variety variation...

Here is a link that might be useful: Different Can Be Good - Dr. Ralph Robinson

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here