Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purrus

Looking for small pots to transplant/propagate violets

purrus
13 years ago

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for inexpensive small pots (2, 2.5, 3, etc) to use to propagate African Violets. I am having a terrible time finding someplace that wont' charge me triple the order amount for shipping. I'd love any advice -- thanks!

Comments (14)

• m3rma1d
    13 years ago

Most supermarkets and Wal*Mart/Target type stores have 3oz disposable plastic cups. :-)

--m3rma1d

• Christine
    13 years ago

I found a variety of small cup sizes at a local store (Smart and Final) that sells restaurant supplies in addition to their normal merchandise. If you have one (or a Costco or similar place) you might want to check out the various sauce and condiment cups. The 3" azalea cups ended up costing me about $.02 each, but I do have to put my own holes in them. I also got smaller cups to transplant seedlings into. I start leaves in the plastic Solo cups from WalMart that m3rmald mentioned.

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Hey, great idea. I ended up paying a small fortune for 2"-4" plastic pots.

Any suggestions for saucers? Toni

• quimoi
    12 years ago

I've bought pots from NovoselEnterprises.com. They are reasonably priced and they sometimes put them on sale. You do need to order a fair amount to make it worthwhile but they have a good variety.

Pluses are you don't have to poke holes, they are more stable than solo cups and they can be reused. I do use the disposable things sometimes.

This company also carries the same clear plastic saucers you find in stores. For something smaller, I've bought the big plastic drink cups and cut them down into saucers. The $ store ones really work better than the brand name. I put an elastic around it and run a sharpie around to mark where to cut. The rest of the cup can be cut into plant stakes if you like. These will also wash in hot water and bleach if you wish. They seem to be red or blue though.

Diana

• bspofford
    12 years ago

When I first started growing AVs, I recycled the used K-cups that the Keurig coffemaker uses. It's still my favorite 'pot', and I found a case on e-bay. I use an electric drill to make holes in them.

Barbara

• elenska
    12 years ago

I transplant my seedlings into the plastic yogurt cups, the mini once, perhaps 2 inch in diameter, make a hole, they work great. I don't use saucers, I have tons of cups that I don't use anymore and I just put some pebbles on the bottom and use those. it also looks interesting, with tiny little AV's in it.

• scsva
    12 years ago

I use the clear plastic cups, make holes, take another cup same size and put a layer of pebbles at the bottom and drop the first cup down into the 2nd cup.

Susan

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Susan, great idea. Where do you find the cups? Also, do they come in different sizes? Thanks, Toni

• almax881
    12 years ago

Bluebird Greenhouse sells containers for really reasonable prices.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bluebird Greenhouse

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    12 years ago

I use plastic "solo" drinking cups. Start with the 3 Oz. bathroom cups with a hole drill/poked on the bottom. You get a whole bunch for cheap!

• punkinpie811
    12 years ago

The Keurig Cups are the best! I'm cheap, so I don't buy them on e-bay. I use them for coffee, then cut off the tops and empty out the grinds and remove the filter. Then, rinse them out and put them back in the coffee machine, punch a few more holes. Voila, instant free pot, you can write on them with a Sharpie and have the added plus of going green and recycling.

• noplantwiz
    12 years ago

I have seen someone use the tops off laundry detergent bottles. I got some of the different colored plastic Easter Egg dye cups at Easter and I use those. I have two plants started off leaves growing in those cups. If you want to use the wicks, they are easy to poke holes in. Of course you can't find them now but could get some next year at Easter.

• aviolet6
    12 years ago

Some of the Ebay online plant stores sell mini pots. I was looking at "MrsStrepStreps" site today & she sells little pots, even some little bitty pots that are shallow and already have the holes in the bottom.

• petty
    12 years ago

reat idea. Where do you find the cups? Also, do they come in different sizes? Thanks

Here is a link that might be useful: petty

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH