Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Update of my No-id Violets/thanks to everyone

Posted by luvofroses My AV udate (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 19, 09 at 11:21

Well I now have had my 9 little no-ids for about 6 weeks. All are doing great. One is blooming again I have put them all in a mixture of AV soil,perlite, and vermiculite. repotted them into 2 1/2 inch,3 in or 3 oz solo cups (according to leaf span) all are being wicked with 2 ply yarn, and they are sitting on top of little deli containers. All are in window sills or in front of a curtained window. Since all are alive and growing new leaves and some flowers I think I am on the right track. My only concern ( the plants don't seem to mind) is that the plants stay damp all the time but since they are not soggy or complaining I guess I am okay? I do not let my resivoirs ever go without water so maybe i am worring about nothing. If it's not broke don't fix it kinda thing. I just want everything to continue going so good. Thanks for all the help I have gotten from here and all the encouragement i have recieved. If these continue doing well into the summer I am going to try for some named ones!!!
Thanks again
Ann

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Update of my No-id Violets/thanks to everyone

Ann, you are definitely on the right track! Don't worry about the wetness of the potting mix as long as you have at least 1 part of each peat, perlite, and vermiculite. It doesn't hurt to go a little heavier on the perlite when you are wicking. The perlite provides air spaces for the roots.

If one starts to get wilty even though it is moist, then you may have an issue with the soil being too moist, but don't worry at this point.

Good luck!

Barbara

o

Thanks Barbara, I just walk around the house smiling because everyone seems so happy and everyone that I know around here ( they don't have violets) have been trying to get me not to grow them saying they are so hard that they stopped growing them, they didn't think I had the time and so on but on this forum I got encouragement and help and so thanks to ya'll I am a happy violet grower.
Ann

o

Hi Ann,
I'm happy to hear of your success. AV's have had a bad rep for many years simply because people did not have the right mix. I am sure if you give a plant to a non believer with a wick and a reservoir that they will have success also.
Happy growing.
Fred in NJ

o

I can't even begin to tell you how many times people have told me that "violets are hard to grow". The answer is so simple - lighten up the potting mix!

o

Aha - know-how is a great thing. You read a couple of books, you ask people and participate in forums - and in no time you are anticipating your first show.

(Something like if you try everything and it still doesn't work - it is time to read a manual..)

i.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here