Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question on Optimara Active/Inactive in Stores

Posted by quimoi z5 PA (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 7, 14 at 11:49

The Optimara site shows the varieties that are supposed to be currently in production. This helps a lot when we try to identify whatever we bought at that great Big Box Store.

However, has anyone ever found a variety that's listed as not in production? There has been a time or two when I thought I saw one, but then a lot of them are similar. However...

Our Lowe's had a shipment of badly damaged plants from Optimara, Nashville (they had come in that way, cold I guess). I especially noted one because I would like one of the MyViolet series, but the pattern on this was reversed. The blossoms weren't gone yet, but the plant was way too bad to buy it.

It was a deep red-violet with a white center. I've finally been able to access MyViolet and the only thing that looks like it is Rhapsodie Andrea and they say it's "Legacy" which I understand means they're not producing it for the stores. I'm not even sure that I liked it but I'm really curious.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has seen oddball plants or knows what other variety I may have seen. All the MyViolets seem to be white outside with the colored "eye" and this was definitely the reverse.

Diana

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question on Optimara Active/Inactive in Stores

Some time ago, I picked up an Optimara that I identified as Patricia which was not supposed to be in production, although I see it now is so perhaps they had not updated My Violet. When I discovered that Optimara had sent way too many plants to our local Kroger store I checked out two stores; they probably had about fifty or so plants in each store; I found one unlike any of the others. After much research, I finally found a near perfect match in Van Gogh, a violet certainly not in production. Whether this is it, I probably will never be sure, but it looks like no other in their current lineup.

Yes, I believe some plants not in major production sneak into a shipment on occasion. Optimara confessed as much on their Facebook page while picturing one of the legacy plants. This violet wasn't in production, but they did say about two dozen plants of it were sent out in random shipments. I don't remember the variety.

I just wonder if any escape from their Research & Development area!

Terri

o
RE: Question on Optimara Active/Inactive in Stores

Thank you! This one really doesn't look like any others. Oh, I wish some of those not named yet ones would escape but someone else would beat me to them anyway :).

Diana

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here