Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
quadgt

New AV!

quadgt
13 years ago

I just bought a new african violet that has ruffled petals. I have had a couple of violets before but eventually they die. I would like to keep this one alive for much longer, but I am currently a little worried about it.

I bought it at a grocery store near my college and took it home the following weekend. When I bought it, some of the leaves had scars on them but other than that it looked pretty healthy. When I took it home, my mom set it in the sink to avoid the cat from eating it. The next morning, my dad got water on leaves without realizing that that was bad. I potted it and took it back to college. Now some of the leaves have holes in them and the leaves are starting to drop.

(I would post picture but I'm unsure how to do that)

Comments (3)

• irina_co
    13 years ago

Q. -

Violets are not afraid of water on the leaves. It is an old wives tale.
    Heavy soil and waterlogged roots - that's the killer.

When you repot it - you should use a light soil - we were discussing it in a previous post - so the soil you can use is Miracle Grow violte soil split with 1/4- 1/2 of perlite. Plus your new pot should have a hole in the bottom and the diameter of it should be 1/3 of a leaf span.

The holes in the leaves and breaks - can be the result of mechanichal damage.

Since you are a newbie - so far it is your third violet - you will benefit from reading FAQ on the top of the page.

This is a learning curve - and we all lost our first violets in a beginning of our hobby. You are already asking questions - so probably you will soon get to the bottom of your violet problems - and instead of dying they will start growing, blooming and taking over your room soon.

There is an another resource you would like to check - and if you want to save the one you like so much - I would take a leaf off - and try to root it - so in case of fatality - you will have babies growing. You can stick it in a water old style - or you can stick it in a soil. The instructions you will find on the Rachel's Reflections site.

Good Luck and It is really easy. Just a bit of know-how.

Irina

PS AV is not poisonous to the cat.

Here is a link that might be useful: loads of know-how

• quadgt
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the tips! My mom used to have one but she had horrible luck so I am on my own for taking care of it. I have a couple more questions.

I have my violet in a self-watering pot (two ceramic pot system). Would you recommend keeping that or using a different method?
    And, when I had my old violets, I tended not to re-pot them since they were doing fine. After reading a couple of things on the Rachel's Reflections site, I saw that it is needed even if the plant seems fine. How often should I re-pot and what should I do?

• irina_co
    13 years ago

I know several people who manage to do right with this kind of pot. The rest of population usually kills plants in them because they have a tendency to pass too much water to the roots. Inexpensive plastic pot actually works better.
    You need to repot your standard violet every 6-12 months. The reason - the peat that is part of the soil - deteriorates and becomes acid. It happens faster on the wicks - when the soil is constantly humid, slower if it is a traditional pot and saucer.

Irina

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths