Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Optimara violets at Lowe`s

Posted by xoxoxoxo none (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 3, 11 at 12:33

Hi everyone !,

This morning at the local Lowes in my area I noticed a stock person opening up a "new" box of african violets..all Optimara. As they were being placed on the rack in the plant department, I noticed something very wrong.
These violets looked aweful ! Just about all of them had faded blooms, damaged foliage, and as I started looking them over, I noticed two things. Some looked like they had serious cold damage , and two had Cyclaman Mite !

I asked the kid stocking the rack if he knew how long these had been in storage. He said he had no idea..he was just told to put them out.

I looked through all of about 20 or so violets and found one that looked like it was ok. It is being kept far away from the other violets, just to make sure it is ok.

I need to look up which one it is though. It has simple spoon shaped leaves with red under sides, smaller dark blue semi double pansy flowers.
The label on the pot says Premium Collector`s Variety , and a tag that says W K 13 and Grown by Holtcamp.
When I get the chance, I will look up the variety`s name and place a proper ID tag on it.

I am sure all of you folks will find this posting interesting.

xo

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Optimara violets at Lowe`s

Not sure buying plants with suspected mites is a great idea... Be sure to isolate it from the rest of your collection for a long, long, LONG time.

o

Hi m3rmald,

Believe me, I do know what I am doing and have isolated this violet from all the others. It certainly will stay that way for a long time.

Unfortunatly, because of the area, the only other way to buy violets is to send away for them. Because our weather is still just too cold for shipping , I would not order any plant until May.
Again...the pitfalls of living in this area !

Not that long ago, we had many greenhouses, plant stores, etc. that sold violets. All have gone out of business and what is left are the big box stores.

o

xoxo,

You have FIVE African violet clubs in your area. I strongly encourage you to go to the Bay State African Violet Society webpage and look under links for their information. You will find members warm and welcoming, very knowledgeable to inexperienced, and a great source for plants, usually without the mites included.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bay State African Violet Society

o

Hi bspofford,

Perhaps you are right. I should look into joining one of the several African Violet Clubs in the area.

I certainly will look into it. Thanks so much for the link.

xo

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here