Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WTF?! help please.

Posted by conuremama 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 27, 13 at 12:44

I just tossed a couple of my propagating leaves can someone please tell me what I.discovered on them.it has me freaked out!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WTF?! help please.

Just an educated guess but it looks like mold. Your pot is much too big for your leaf and it may be staying too wet. What kind of soil are you using ? I would re-pot using a sterile soil mix.
Linda

o

I side with Linda - it is a some kind of harmless fungal growth feeding on the organic part of the soil. If you have wood chips in your soil mix - that can be the food source for this fungi.
It is unsightly - that's about it.
You can scrape the top of the soil off .

The problem is with your leaf - the brown spot can spread and kill the leaf before you get the babies. If the leaf is something you cannot replace - you can either cut the rotten spot out - or trim the leaf under the rotten spot - and dust cinnamon on the cut.

And Linda is correct again regarding the size of the pot = with fungus and surgery = you can as well move the leaf into the smaller container - and make sure the soil has plenty of perlite - so the roots will breathe. You can take the plastic solo cup = and lop the top half off. In my experience they grow better if the soil is to to the top of the container, not down on the bottom of the pot - I think the soil gets aerated better - and a leaf gets more light.

Good Luck

Irina

o

Irina,
Would you cut the leaf straight across or in a v-shape to preserve some of the veins?
Linda

o

Linda - I think you are absolutely right - V-cut would be much better.
I.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here