Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
watering AV from bottom

Posted by newbienew (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 9, 10 at 13:21

There is a one inch gap between the bottom of my plant container and my plant box (which has drainage holes).

Yesterday I filled this gap with water. Within half an hour the water had virtually disappeared. Im not using a wick so Im not sure how the water got up into the plant whose soil is now very moist.

Is it safe to leave water in that gap as long as its not touching the bottom of the plant box or will that also lead to overwatering?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: watering AV from bottom

As long as that left over water isn't soaking into the plant soil it's fine. They do NOT like wet feet!

o

Hi Newbie,
I wouldn't leave the plant in the water for more than 10 minuutes. A lot depends on the mix you are using' If your mix is heavy with peat leaving it in the water could lead to root rot.
Fred in nj

o

I have my AV in a self watering AV pot for sometime now. all the lower leaves are yellow. Any suggestions?

o

:::I have my AV in a self watering AV pot for sometime now. all the lower leaves are yellow. Any suggestions?::

Sure :)
- Pull the root ball/plant up from the pot, remove those yellow leaves and any that need removing.
- Get a pot that is 1/3 the width of the width of the plant that you have remaining AFTER you remove those rings of leaves.
- get some soil that is 1 part peat moss, vermiculite, perlite and put the plant in the new pot and new soil.

Should get some GREAT results.

I'm not a fan of the self watering AV pots. They are a grand marketing concept and the pots are beautiful but they don't support a growing environment where AVs thrive (IMO).
I have helped others transplant into plastic 3 inch pots that we sat down inside of the self watering inner bowl just for the visual.

Good Luck,
Dora

o

Thanks Dora. I will give it a try.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here