Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Traveling with my AV's

Posted by zwaantje Vt (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 26, 09 at 14:09

Since both our dogs died I obviously needed something else to care for ;-) and that is probably the reason I recently became an AV collector.

After living through a number of winters in Vermont my husband and I have spend the winters in FLorida, so for the first time last fall I had to travel with my (then smaller collection of) AV's. We traveled in a small motor home, and all went well, all my AV's survived the trip down and back up North.

But now we're getting a little too old for the exhausting trip and we decided to fly this coming fall. So now I have to figure out what the best way is to ship them. One seller sent me AV's (Priority of course) in the largest size foam cups with wooden pegs stuck above where the pot ends, which so far seems to make the most sense. But if anyone has a better idea, can you please explain to me what that idea is?

Thank you so much in advance.

Regards,
Milli

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Traveling with my AV's

Milli =

It seems to me you need 2 small collections - 1 in Florida, 1 in Vermont - and violet loving friends - in both places.

If you pot them in Oyama pots - the watering is so simple - your friends won't kill them even if they are not experienced.

It is not a good idea to ship mature plants - you will lose leaves and it will take time for them to become presentable again. Otherwise you will be living half of the year with ratty looking plants here - and half of the year - there.

The price for the violets in Florida is amazingly cheap. So you can get some there - and when it is time to fly home - you can take the outside leaves off, roll them in a newspaper and take them with you on the plane. With a good duffel bag you can carry 10 of them and put in overhead shelf. If you are mini- or semi-mini afficionado - it is even easier. Keep an eye in Florida for the plants with the Harmony Greenhouse label. They are named, great quality and not run-of-the mill selection. I brought 15 of them on the plane last time I was in Florida - and they are just gorgeous.

Good Luck

irina

o
RE: Traveling with my AV's

Milli, if you are in the Naples area of FL, we get great AV's from Harmony. I have a link below to show which ones I've gotten from the two nurserys here. Prices are $3.99 at one place and $5.99 at another. Nice violets.

Here is a link that might be useful: My AV Haves and Wants Links

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here