Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Immature mature seed pods?

Posted by stross z9 N.O. LA (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 17, 11 at 14:32

Hi everyone! I have read that african violet seed pods take 3-6 months to mature. I successfully cross pollinated Firebird (strain I?) with both Hiroshige and Geneva Wonder. The seed pods developed, but after just two months, the stems of both shriveled, etc. Normally, I would think that this meant that they were mature, but can two months "do it", or did they just shrivel prematurely? I guess the only way to find out is to plant the seeds and see if anything happens. But if anyone has experience with this type of thing, it would be great to hear from you. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Immature mature seed pods?

According to the link below, pods that dry in less than 4 months are unlikely to have fertile seed. Unlikely, but not impossible! Another site lists 3 months maturing time. I recently had a pod dry after 1 1/2 months and planted the seeds anyway. Nothing sprouted. Howeever, you really don't have much to lose by planting the seeds, so go for it. Someone else here might be able to tell us how to determine under a loop or microscope whether a seed is viable or not.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jeff Smith's Notes on Hybridizing

o

• Posted by stross z9 N.O. LA (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 18, 11 at 16:59

Thanks for your very helpful response, donna c. That linked page is very informative, too. I think I will go ahead and get some sowing medium prepared, open up one of the seed pods to see if the seeds are shiny and black or brown (i.e. viable or non-viable according to that link), and take things from there. Thanks again!

o

Hello Stross,

I'd be interested to see how your seeds turned out. I'm in the same situation: my seed pods dried after two months. I'm just going to try to sow them anyway.

Please email me directly from my email address found in my profile. I'm in Louisiana (north) like you. I'd be cool to know another amateur hybridizer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here