Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
found some nice small pots

Posted by cateyanne zone 5/6 Northern Oh (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 28, 13 at 14:34

I have been searching for a smaller version of the "indirect watering" pots that I had a couple of AV's planted in. Mine, though advertised as made for AV's are larger that what is recommended for the violets I have and wouldn't be usable until the plants get much larger, which would be years? So, it was a difficult thing to find as almost all in stores were not made for my 3 year olds and certainly not for any of the new ones I wanted to buy. Now I am happy I have found a pot source for my new AV"s, I wondered what I can plant in the old pots. Some houseplant that would benefit from indirect watering, but wouldn't grow so large so fast that I'd have to re- pot so soon. I realize this might be a different forum. but I couldn't find a house plant one.Thought I'd get lucky with a knowledgeable person here. Any ideas? My house gets low light typically, and I like to reserve my sunny spots for my AV's!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: found some nice small pots

IMHO if you want to grow AV in the self watering pots - OYAMA pots are the best. (Ceramics are the most challenging).

If you have these heavy double ceramics - you plant anything but low water requirement plants there. Cacti will not flourish there. The main thing - add extra perlite to the soil - to make it lighter - and adjust your water slowly - after repotting - keep watering from the top until the plant establishes - and then try filling the bottom pot with water starting with a small amount of water. Do not refill the pot until the soil in the pot is on a dry side. Most of the plants do not want to be waterlogged all the time, they need some dry time.

Good Luck

Irina

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here