Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
White 'Fuzz' on African Violets

Posted by elizabeth_24 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 21, 06 at 14:45

Hi everyone, I'm hoping you can help me.

In my office I had a jade plant and a bunch of african violets. The jade plant was failing quite badly and then it started to get these white fuzzies on the leaves. I quickly threw it out but it was too late. My violets now have the same white fuzzies on them. Not all of them; it's mainly affecting just two (of course, my favourite two!) but the white fuzz has appeared on the leaves and in the center of the plant. They look like little pieces of white fluff but you can't pick them off; they tend to smear on to the leaves instead.

Any thoughts and suggesions as to what this might be? And any advice on how to get rid of it?

Thanks in advance everyone, I sure appreciate it!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: White 'Fuzz' on African Violets

Sounds like mealie bugs...kill with qtip with isopropanol Alcohol. Or apply spray that kills mealies but is safe for AVs. Neem worked for me for thrips, but I don't know if it kills mealies. It's an antifeedant and makes bugs die by making them anorexic. Safer spray might work, but I always try the alcohol first and keep it up for weeks...they hatch and rehatch. If it's a bad infestation, throw the plants out and put leaves down.

minibot

o

Yeah - mealybugs.

Try what Minibot suggested - you can actually spray it with rubbing alcohol diluted with water 1:3 - be sure that you get in all the "armpits". Do it 3 times week apart and wipe the windowsill, saucers etc. with this solution - they lay eggs.

There are more potent pesticides that kill them but try it first. Neem oil - I do not know - they are so well protected with their fuzz- which is eradicated with alcohol - the oil can just leave untidy spots on their furcoats, but not really reach them.

Irina

o

Thank you very much for you help, I appreciate it! I'm going to make up the solution this weekend, come in on Sunday and spray the plants.

Mealybugs - ugh!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here