Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvofroses

Blue Bird Greenhouse opinions

luvofroses
14 years ago

I was just looking at the Blue Bird Greenhouse site and fell in love with many of their violets but have not heard good or bad things about them. Has anyone ordered from them and what do you think of their plants? Compared to the Violet Barn? I do not want to order form somewhere just because the pictures look nice. Oh my! my husband really needs to get my new shelves in my window ready. I am trying to wait and see if another 6 weeks go by with everything doing good but my wish list is growing. Any thoughts good or bad I would love to hear. Thanks so much

Ann

Comments (13)

• fred_hill
    14 years ago

I have heard decent reviews on Bluebird. They seem to have a good variety of plants at reasonable prices. I wouldn't hesitate to order from them. If you do order from them and something is wrong with what you receive I would not hesitate and let them know. They will make things right I am sure.
    Fred in NJ

• quinnfyre
    14 years ago

Violet Barn sends you starter plants. These are normally small, in smaller pots (2.5 inch I think, or in solo cups). Bluebird Greenhouse sends you plants, in 4 inch pots for standards, and the appropriate size pot for minis. Every time I've ordered from them, they've also sent me a freebie. I also really like their supplies, and have ordered more of those than violets. I've been especially fond of their potting mix, and have been known to get violets from Violet Barn, and immediately repot them into Bluebird Greenhouse's mix. If I liked their selection more, I'd be in trouble. Nothing really wrong with their selection, but the ones I happen to want just don't happen to be on their list. So if you like what they have, by all means, go ahead and order! I've never had a problem.

Oh, the other nice thing is, you have the option to order leaves. So if you're patient, or just want to spend a little less, you can get leaves instead.

• luvofroses
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I saw many that were leaves only that i loved but I don't think i am ready for growing leaves. I have one in a bag that is still alive, had 3 others that rotted. These are leaves off of my plants that i was playing with. So I think i will wait on the leaf till i am SURE i can do the whole plant and keep them alive for a long while. I have made a wish for both the Violet Barn and Bluebird greenhouse. I have nor will ever have room for all that I want but it is fun to look. I am glad this is a good source of violets. Thanks for your thoughts
    Ann

• irina_co
    14 years ago

Ann -

you are right - until you are successful in growing your own babies - you are stuck with buying plants. Both vendors you mentioned are great and I ordered and will order from both of them in a future. Violet Barn mostly carries Ma's and Rob's hybrids and that's the place to order the newest masterpieces of these hybridizers. BlueBird - they have a very good selection of great violets including oldies and if you are just building your collection - it is a place to go. After you develop your personal preferences - you will be unevitably hunting - for just one plant you MUST have - all over the country.

But you need to work on your leaf rooting. My guess is your soil is too wet. My latest choice of starting the leaves is in a transparent shoe box. I check it from time to time - and just splash some water on the bottom. The soil can stay barely moist - and air - very humid - and the leaves do not touch the sides.

Good luck

irina

• m3rma1d
    14 years ago

To read and post reviews/opinions about African violet vendors, please join my handy forum: www.violetvendorverdict.com

• m3rma1d
    14 years ago

Oops I messed up the link--Try this one:

www.violetvendorverdict.com

• luvofroses
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Irina, Yes I do have to learn how to get my leaves going. I recently got one of those roasted chicken container with the domed lids so i am going to try that. The leaf that I have in a baggie I checked last night the soil is still damp and it seems to be in good condition. It has been in there since the beginning on March and I have seen no difference. So i am practicing patience,didn't know if I should put this little fellow in the chicken container or leave it as is. Does this little fellow need to come out or stay as he is? This will be so much fun when all the scary parts go away,but new plants are in the future for me soon.
    Ann

• tucsonterry
    14 years ago

I have purchased from Blue Bird Greenhouses and found the plants and service excellent. I also buy the black trays and clear tops for my babies. The prices are better than I can find anywhere else for a dozen trays. The plants ("No wimpy Violets") are in 4-inch pots but for me, the potting medium is a bit too dense. I repot everything that comes in so I have a uniformity of medium to help regulate the watering. I understand that more and more Russian hybrids will be coming from Libby(the owner) as she got a lot of the leaves from the convention in 2008(?). I think we can look forward to many more new hybrids from Russia through her. JMHO.

• quitecontrary
    14 years ago

M3rma1d-
    I tried to go to your forum, but it won't let me register. Get an error message. Is there some trick to it?

Barbara

• irina_co
    14 years ago

No WImpy Violets -

for me it is better to get a starter than a mature plant. They adjust faster and perform better in a long run. But I agree - their plants are very strong.

Irina

• m3rma1d
    14 years ago

Barbara--I'm guessing you are trying to register with a yahoo or hotmail address. I had some problems with people who got banned for not following rules and then they kept signing back up with yahoo & hotmail addies since they're so easy to get--so I just made it so you couldn't register with those anymore for now.

BUT the good news is that I can register you by going into my admin control panel. Just email me what you want your username to be and I will register you that way: m3rma1d@creativespill.com

• nickybellagran
    14 years ago

They are real nice people. I have bought from them for years and visited their greenhouse once.

• dognapper2
    14 years ago

My order arrived from Bluebird yesterday, 1 week to the day since placing the order!

I ordered 2 plants & 3 leaves. Was sad when checked my bank statement to see if the payment had cleared and it was for $5.50 less than expected. A plant was out of stock, I guessed correctly.

No reason be sad it turned out as they included 2 leaves of the missing plant for free, plus gifted me a plant and substituted a leaf order with a small blooming starter plant - granted it has to grow out a bit to get past some damage. You would probably put it back and take the one next to it if you were buying a plant. But I paid for a leaf!

I am a happy customer...probably 3rd time over the years I've ordered from them. Shipping is actual cost of priority box. That alone would be enough to get me back next time...you know...if I wasn't limiting myself to 2 shelves this time around. :)

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative General Contractors